Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2004, 03:04 PM

Default Razz Question

I have searched the posts and am currently reading "Sklansky on Poker"'s Razz section. While this seems to be the only "definitive" text out there on the subject (Hellmuth gives some decent tips as others have pointed out, but it leaves a lot to be desired), the section simply reads like an essay (which I believe it was, at least originally) and skips many obvious steps.

My question is this: How does one find materials that get a player into the mindset that other Sklansky texts (Hold 'Em being the most obvious example) do? For example, while Sklansky on Poker tells you that a smooth 8 is a good starting hand and that other factors could make a rough 8, smooth 9 a good hand or wheel cards only a fair hand, etc., etc., it fails to quantify these concepts like the Hold 'Em texts do. Is there a site/text that ranks razz starting hands against each other or helps you to determine odds based on various boards or is it simply a game of boards as they appear with some player reads and position thrown in (i.e. if they catch good and bet while I catch bad, I should muck absent reads)? Basically, I want to think of a Razz hand the way I think of a Hold 'Em hand (i.e. determine odds/implied odds and turn to my reads, etc.). Perhaps the answer is to read the 7-stud materials and simply apply that knowledge to Razz.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 12-27-2004, 04:03 PM

Default Re: Razz Question

http://twodimes.net/poker/

Perhaps this is not exactly what you're looking for, but this will give you the win percentages of starting hands against each other and can help you determine the odds.
Old 12-27-2004, 04:09 PM

Thanks. I never hit the drop down box so I never realized that twodimes calculated anything but hold 'em odds.

Out of utter laziness, I would still love any other info that people have.
Old 12-28-2004, 12:02 PM

you didn't mention it so i assume you're not aware that super system has a section on low poker, with part of that devoted to razz.
Old 12-28-2004, 02:23 PM

Have read it. Also in the back, certain of the appendices are dedicated to Razz probablitily. I guess the real answer to my question is that I have to put the various sources together to come up with a definitive strategy for a game that is rather simple.

But, then again, I guess that was my assumption all along. I posed the question b/c the posters on this site are always helpful and very knowledgeable, so it never hurts to ask the experts. Thanks.
Old 12-28-2004, 04:17 PM

From what you ask, it sounds like the hi-lo section in SS should help you a lot.
Old 12-28-2004, 05:06 PM

Thanks. I hadn't read it and I will now. I appreciate the responses given the lack of popularity of this game.