Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-24-2004, 01:36 AM

Default Learn from my mistake

Here's the scenario- you have K's in middle. A lag pf raises early, you 3 bet, and a semi-tight decent late position cold caps... Whenever a Q flops, you are going to want to bet/fold or check/fold this flop most of the time.

Do you see why? and it's not even close
Old 12-24-2004, 01:38 AM

Default Re: Learn from my mistake

I see what your saying about the range of hands a tight player will cap with but check/folding is not an option.
Old 12-24-2004, 01:47 AM

I'm new to the game but isn't AQ a strong possibility? Suited even.
Old 12-24-2004, 02:06 AM

I don't think a Tight Aggro player cold caps w/ AQs. AA or QQ are possablities, but it also depends on your table image. If he thinks you're loose, he'll cap it with AA-AQs, but if you also look tight...watch out for AA-QQ.
Old 12-24-2004, 02:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think a Tight Aggro player cold caps w/ AQs. AA or QQ are possablities, but it also depends on your table image. If he thinks you're loose, he'll cap it with AA-AQs, but if you also look tight...watch out for AA-QQ.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, I have a tight image
Old 12-24-2004, 04:00 AM

I agree that you could be in deep trouble here. But you simply cannot check/fold. You have an overpair for Christ's sake! Find out on the flop. And if he DOES have a set of Queens, you have great implied odds if that king comes...
Old 12-24-2004, 04:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree that you could be in deep trouble here. But you simply cannot check/fold. You have an overpair for Christ's sake! Find out on the flop. And if he DOES have a set of Queens, you have great implied odds if that king comes...

[/ QUOTE ]

I bet/fold. But I don't like being suckered in for a bet on the flop and turn. Check/folding on the turn is very wrong if you get called on the flop. But betting out may only lose yourself a big bet.

any help is greatly appreciated
Old 12-24-2004, 04:29 AM

if you routinely fold KK in that spot i have some real estate on the moon you might be interested in
Old 12-24-2004, 05:08 AM

Default Re: At least six levels of response for given statement...

Implicit play characteristics of hand held (EX: plays well against multi-person field!) in regards to its respective merits or failings, natural contamination of board, assumed contamination of "dominated" pockets, mathematical streamlining of the governing factors of chance or luck, acts of so-called "pure" strategy, and more likely, Devaluation of ostensibly strong opening cards versus "respected" action from either preceding or following players.

-The pursuit of an ever-greater grasp of your own faculties is a quiet but rewarding piece of the poker lifestyle. Use your extensive freedom and time to become initiated into even the most arcane expanses of the game that you are lucky enough to play as a means of financial support. Study both, "Grand" strategy, and "Singular" tactics, and then combine the counterfactual facts you will find evident...No small thing, learning that for the purposes of your ultimate understanding 1+1=2 AND 1+1=X, simutaneously and definitively. No more fainting spells while betting a river heads-up I would hope...Except in that rare instance of coures.
The basic guidelines are as follows.
1.If hand looks marginal pre-flop, fold it. Always err on the side of conservative but aggressively represented "playable" hands.
2. The "Feeney" AQ test, and related importance.
3. Isolate and limp as effectively and inexpensively as possible. Learn to make the truly "good" late-street folds, A. Big wires B. Set -vs- flush/wheel C. wheel -vs- assured flush D. flush -vs- pair board and probable boat E. Medium- and smaller set -vs- top set and the like. F. Quads...Kidding, except naturally on the straght-flush board, and even then, as rare as the most exotic poker circumstance can be. G. Ace-King (suited)- versus ace-rag board and loose-aggro suckout artists or unimproved on turn or river against solid opponents when no paint has hit the board or your draws have come to little fruition. H. Snow White: Note. If you have, what you know to be the pure nuts, and are not raising to the cap on all streets (cunningly of course, so as to not raise the hackles of your foes before necessary). If you cannot lose, than any act, save for those used for purposes of containment or misdirection of your investors, is true "weakness". You should never be afraid to bet or raise as the situation demands, because you are win-and-lose going to be "correct" for the most part. If you begin to fear the postflop commision of certain hands because of an innate perception of essential "marginality"...You have just hten been informed that your opening zeal is unconciously too loose in its fervor. Rock up, and re-create or set new precedents for your own image in future play.

Self-Analysis,is always the companion of the savvy gambler. The bottomless font of poker knowledge lies within the corridors of your consciousness. When all literature has been delved it is a source of new information, continually.

Note: The texts, or essays of many of the twoplustwo, and other unaffiliated authors can be helpful to the student. At the summit of poker importance, a motley cabal of varied players compose the, in my humble opinion at least, "pantheon" of cannonized poker figures. List including but not limited too, David Sklanksy, Doyle Brunson, Amarillo Slim Preston, Bobby Baldwin, Stu Ungar, Ray Zee, Mason Mallmuth, David "Devilfish" Ulliot, , Howard Lederer, Mike Sexton, Phil Ivey, Allan Cunningham, Freddy Deeb, James McManus, Gus Hansen, Phil Hellmuth, Jr.-his tourney record cannot be denied, Bob Ciaffone, Chip Reese, Mike Caro, Bobby Hoff, TJ Cloutier, Tom McEvoy, Matt Savage-"president of the poker states", Daniel Negreanu, Johnny Chan, Barry Greenstein, "Action" Dan Harrington, Marcel Luske, and of course top personal respect goes to "THE ELEMENTS" including "Spirit Rock", and the many well-loved others that boredom and fading self-respect prevent me from including.

Happy Holidays and Hot Cards,
Pat Fresh [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 12-24-2004, 06:24 AM

Both bet/fold and check/fold are absolutely awful weak-tight strategies here. Sounds to me like you just had a bad session.