Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2004, 04:13 PM

Default 7 Stud/8 – Taking the highway

Paradise - $4/$8 7-Card Stud Hi/Lo 8 - $0.50 Ante.

The table was pretty loose and sort of passive/aggressive.

I was pretty card dead during the two hour session that I played and most of the hands that were making me any money were high hands.

This hand however bad or marginal was not me being cute or anything. I guess it was an “I’m paying $0.50 for every friggin hand” kind of hand.

3rd Street (1 SB) – Hero is Seat 3 with Jh 8d Jd (8 players).

Seat 1: X X Ts
Seat 2: X X 4s
Hero: Jh 8d Jd
Seat 4: X X Kd
Seat 5: X X 7c
Seat 6: X X Ac
Seat 7: X X 9s
Seat 8: X X 9h

Action: Seat 2 brings-in ($2), Hero raises, Seat 4 calls, Seat 5 calls, Seats 6, 7 and 8 fold, Seat1 calls, Seat 2 calls.

Was this raise reckless? I wanted to put pressure on the King and Ace and it resulted in the better players folding. I wasn’t very impressed with Seat 4’s play (the King) but he had been lucky and had lots of chips.

4th Street (6 SB) – Hero catches 6s (5 players).

Seat 1: X X Ts Qh
Seat 2: X X 4s 9c
Hero: Jh 8d Jd 6s
Seat 4: X X Kd 4c
Seat 5: X X 7c 6h

Action: Seat 4 checks, Seat 5 bets, Seat 1 folds, Seat 2 calls, Hero raises, Seat 4 folds, Seat 5 calls, Seat 2 calls.

Well, the K4 and QT are gone anyway. Now I’m not sure if I needed to raise to get Seat 4 out, but that’s why I did it. I don’t think Seat 2 is a very good player, now I just hope he doesn’t stumble onto something.

5th Street (6 BB) – Hero catches Th (3 players).

Seat 2: X X 4s 9c 9d
Hero: Jh 8d Jd 6s Th
Seat 5: X X 7c 6h 7h

Action: It’s checked thru.

Did I put the brakes on too soon? I’m still sitting on one pair and there are two open pairs out there.

6th Street (6 BB) – Hero catches 2s (3 players).

Seat 2: X X 4s 9c 9d 3s
Hero: Jh 8d Jd 6s Th 2s
Seat 5: X X 7c 6h 7h 8c

Action: It’s checked thru.

7th Street (6 BB) – Hero catches 6d (3 players).

Action: Seat 2 bets, Hero calls, Seat 5 calls.

Anyone raise here?

Any comments appreciated.

TIA,
greenage
Old 12-25-2004, 04:30 PM

Default Re: 7 Stud/8 – Taking the highway

You're tired of paying $.50 a hand, so you decide to change things up and see if you can maybe pay $40 for one? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

The third-street raise may have been a bit optimistic. There are two over-cards to your pair out. This is low-limit, so it's probably going to be multi-way, and you've got a hand that prefers a short-handed pot. Ideally, I'd want to buy the antes. I might limp in and see what happens, but you're not giving up much by tossing hands like this.

I don't understand the raise on fourth street. If the guy with 76 has any kind of hand, and he's any kind of player, you're going to be putting in three bets with a hand that I wouldn't be too enthusiastic about putting one bet in with. I would call and hope he catches a Queen on fifth.

I think checking on fifth and sixth is prudent. On the river, I think you only have a call.
Old 12-25-2004, 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You're tired of paying $.50 a hand, so you decide to change things up and see if you can maybe pay $40 for one?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sometimes I say stupid things and by the time I realize just how stupid it’s too late to edit it out. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] I was frustrated because I was pretty card dead.

[ QUOTE ]
The third-street raise may have been a bit optimistic. There are two over-cards to your pair out. This is low-limit, so it's probably going to be multi-way, and you've got a hand that prefers a short-handed pot. Ideally, I'd want to buy the antes. I might limp in and see what happens, but you're not giving up much by tossing hands like this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, I guess I thought I could out play them, rofl. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand the raise on fourth street. If the guy with 76 has any kind of hand, and he's any kind of player, you're going to be putting in three bets with a hand that I wouldn't be too enthusiastic about putting one bet in with. I would call and hope he catches a Queen on fifth.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed again, but at the time it was very important to me to get Seat 4 out (the King).

[ QUOTE ]
I think checking on fifth and sixth is prudent. On the river, I think you only have a call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, I wasn’t too worried about Seat 5 but I couldn’t figure out what Seat 2 was doing.

As for the results, I lost the hand history but remember that Seat 2 got the low and I took the high.

Thanks Andy and happy holidays!

geenage
Old 12-25-2004, 06:18 PM

I just don't see a loose player holding K4o as much of a threat. I do see a guy holding 76 as a threat, though.
Old 12-25-2004, 06:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just don't see a loose player holding K4o as much of a threat. I do see a guy holding 76 as a threat, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your are right again O wise one, I just didn't see it. He actually had 2 pair on 6th but didn't bet it and got skunked on 7th for the low.

I guess I let the King bother me because he was pulling hands out of his arse.

I think I have the hand history at work and may post the showdown tomorrow.

TY,
greenage
Old 12-27-2004, 02:26 PM

Default Results

Seat 2: (showed hand) [ 6c 7s 4s 9c 9d 3s Ah ]
LO: 7,6,4,3,A
HI: a pair of nines

Seat 4: [ 8s 3d 7c 6h 7h 8c 5c ]
LO: 8,7,6,5,3
HI: two pair, eights and sevens

Hero: (showed shuffled) [ 8d 6d Jd 6s Th 2s Jh ]
HI: two pair, jacks and sixes