Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2004, 11:01 PM

Default Semibluff on the turn, too aggressive?

This was a $10+1 SnG, Blinds (75/150) in Pokerstars.

BB had t4200
SB had t4500
Button had t4800

Preflop: Hero is the BB with A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Button folds, SB calls, Hero raises to t450, SB calls.

Flop (t900): K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
SB bets t200, Hero raises to t600, SB calls.

Turn (t2100): 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
SB bets 300, Hero raises all-in t3100, SB calls.

River (t8400): T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Final Pot: t8400

Results in white below
<font color="white">
Hero has Ace high
SB has K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 pair)
Outcome: SB wins t8400 </font>

Does anyone like SBs call? I had been playing very tightly, only showing down the best hand. SB was obviously showing some strength, but I sensed some weakness and made my semibluff move.

Did my betting pattern give any clues? I was trying to represent a set with the flop raise, or even a flush semibluff.
Old 12-22-2004, 11:30 PM

Default Re: Semibluff on the turn, too aggressive?

If you had the flush would you have gone all in or would you have raised to like 900 to try and milk more money out of him?

I really don't like the way your opponent played this hand. Calling a raise to 450 with k4 is poor. You chances of being dominated and out kicked are too high. Betting 200 into a flush draw pot is a waste. Then when you raised, he should be pushing. You are fair more likely to have a flush draw, AK,kQ, be bluffing than have trips or K9. He should make you pay for your bluff.

As far as your play, I would have called and folded. There is a lot of play left and I can get my money in with better odds most of time.
Old 12-22-2004, 11:30 PM

I'll leave the comment on the play to someone else for now (I'm a bit tired and it's not a simple hand) but the SB has put you on AK.

No reason to suspect a flush heads up this late.

At a quick glance your play looks okay, but his bet would normally make me think that he wants a cheap showdown (maybe King with a low heart or something) so I'd bear in mind that although he wants a cheap showdown, he may still call for an expensive one.
Of course, none of that transpired, but that's not the point.

Lori
Old 12-23-2004, 03:57 PM

Fold on flop.
Usually opponent bet out against PF raiser, he has something. You overplayed imo. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 12-23-2004, 04:24 PM

I agree that I overplayed this hand. Folding to a small flop bet after I raise pre-flop is just not a tool that is in my poker bag yet. That is definitely something I need to work on. I just like to throw chips around when it gets shorthanded and I end up with too many 3rds because of it.