Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2004, 02:54 AM

Default Blind Stealing with weak holdings

Hey guys

I think I've been too loose in my blind stealing hands. I tend to steal more against tight players and tight passive players, so when I come up in a steal situation, I look up my PT gametime window, and if I see the blinds are say 14~17 VPIP, I'll raise with a LOT of hands. Just today I did it with 8s5s on the button, and I've probably done it with worse. Is this EV-?

On one hand, they'll fold preflop a majority of the time. But on the other hand, if I get called I am most likely behind and have put two bets in preflop, so basically I lost a fraction of a small bet. But I might have some folding equity to make up for the loss preflop. Ugh I really don't know how to analyze the EV of this strategy of raising junk cards against tight blinds. Is it an overall winner or a little -EV play that turns into a big loss in the long run?

I play 3/6 on party btw.

PS I know Nate tha Great did some sims on blind stealing, it didn't apply much when I was on .5/1 but I think looking at it now would help me evaluate. Anyone have a link?