Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2004, 06:56 PM

Default 10/20 NL hand

I have K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in CO. Two early position limpers to me, and I raise to $100. Button calls, and one of the early position limpers calls. Button is solid, EP is not.

Flop: 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

EP checks, I bet $200, Button raises to $400, EP folds, I call.

Turn 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I check, Button bets $800. If I call, I'm left with $735, he has me covered.

Thoughts?
Old 12-14-2004, 07:12 PM

Default Re: 10/20 NL hand

If button is a solid player I really don't like the minraise on the flop. If he thought you had AK he would efinetly throw more out as he is giving you odds to draw to a gutshot broadwaay, not to mention a flush if you are suited in clubs or a backdoor etc. etc.

Looks to me like he has you beat on the flop, has you on a hand that is unlikely to improve(which he beats) and is trying to get you committed to your hand.

I think a set of any of the flop cards is a definite possibiltiy, and a turn fold is in order. If he is on a bluff you aren't going to win anything but the $800, and if he has the goods the rest of your stack is gone.

-SmileyEH
Old 12-14-2004, 07:46 PM

fold and ask for a seat change.
Old 12-14-2004, 10:32 PM

Hi Next,

Does he know you're solid? Are you solid (j/k)? If so, you are in a bad spot here. He knows you have a good hand--You raised 2 limpers a large but not huge amount, and he knows that you know he knows this. Thus, he can make this turn bet with a hand that beats you (the more likely scenario) or with a semi-bluff, or a stone-cold bluff.

He probably has something, though, since the pot was somewhat protected on the flop. Still, he could make this flop raise with a Jack, intending to lose EP, and find out if you're gonna play for everything right there. When you just call, he's in the driver's seat.

So, use what you know about this guy's bluffing frequency to figure it out; default play is to make the decision on the flop, and it's usually folding there or on the turn.

The 7 is not a scare card for most players, as 89s might be a little loose to call your obvious strength pre-flop; but if the stacks are really deep, all bets are off.
Old 12-14-2004, 10:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Next,

Does he know you're solid? Are you solid (j/k)? If so, you are in a bad spot here. He knows you have a good hand--You raised 2 limpers a large but not huge amount, and he knows that you know he knows this. Thus, he can make this turn bet with a hand that beats you (the more likely scenario) or with a semi-bluff, or a stone-cold bluff.

He probably has something, though, since the pot was somewhat protected on the flop. Still, he could make this flop raise with a Jack, intending to lose EP, and find out if you're gonna play for everything right there. When you just call, he's in the driver's seat.

So, use what you know about this guy's bluffing frequency to figure it out; default play is to make the decision on the flop, and it's usually folding there or on the turn.

The 7 is not a scare card for most players, as 89s might be a little loose to call your obvious strength pre-flop; but if the stacks are really deep, all bets are off.

[/ QUOTE ]

like i said, get a seat change...you don't want this guy making your life miserable on your left all night, do you?

-sossman
Old 12-15-2004, 03:58 PM

Yeah, he knows I'm awesome. Apparently not awesome enough. On the flop I said to myself, he can't raise like that with anything other than a set of jacks. But I called anyway, and then on the turn he bet about 50% of my stack, and I pretty much knew he had the set of jacks there, but said to myself f*** it and pushed anyway. =T I just laughed when I saw it. I guess I need to follow through on my reads.
Old 12-15-2004, 06:18 PM

I was gonna say, given the action the only hands he likely holds are TT and JJ.
Old 12-15-2004, 10:57 PM

Don't you know that when you call on the turn its all going in on the river? With that in mind, I'd probably fold this turn
Old 12-16-2004, 12:30 AM

Though I wasn't there, given your observations about the button, it definately feels like he flopped a set. You mentioned he was solid, i.e. the sort of player who would smooth call JJ with position. Then he makes a smallish/minimum raise on the flop to take the lead, but not enough to push you off of your hand--he may assume you have AK or a strong overpair. Then, he almost taps the turn knowing that you're likely to call w/ an overpair and to protect him from AQ or AK. I know it's a tough laydown, but I probably fold on the turn...especially in a tough cash game like a $10/20.

Just my thoughts--or guesses,
KP22
Old 12-16-2004, 05:31 AM

Hi,

I have a question for you all. Do you think, just based on the preflop and flop action, that this guy could have a flush- or straightdraw? And if so, wouldn't it be a better play to make a, something like 3/4*pot reraise on the flop and give up the hand when he calls? Please reply, I wanna learn no limit.

Regards,

Vulture