Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2004, 07:02 PM

Default am I too weak,?

early in 10+1, i'm the chip leading /w 1500 on button. 6 people limp in, including me with JhQh. Everyone else has about 800.

Flop: 2h 3h 2c
Checks.

Turn: 6s
Checked to me, and I value bet 15. 5 call.

River: 6h
making my Q-flush but double pairing the board.
check check, MP bets INTO me about the pot size 90. I fold. One caller.

It was early in the tourney and had lots of chips to spare. Was folding weak?

<font color="white"> Caller had 3 rag for two pair. MP had T-high flush.
</font>
Old 12-17-2004, 07:15 PM

Default Re: am I too weak,?

Good fold. You are behind to any 6, any 2 and a bigger flush. Plus you are not closing the action.
Old 12-17-2004, 07:19 PM

Flop: Bet the pot. If the SB or BB call, you can check behind on the turn for a free card since a 2 is probably out. If anyone else calls, it's up to you.

Turn: 15 is not a value bet. It's a stupidity bet that lets the BB checkraise his 2. Bet 2/3 of the pot minimum, or check again.

River: Tough but with a massive chiplead I may look him up since a 2 or 6 are both unlikely; a 2 won't check three straight times and a 6 probably bets less than that.
Old 12-17-2004, 07:25 PM

I often find myself making small bets into the pot as a semi-value bet semi-probe bet. Given two checks around me, if I get re-raised a large amount, I was probably drawing dead and saved myself some money on the river. If not, i'm building the pot for if a river does hit. You think this is bad reasoning?
Old 12-17-2004, 09:43 PM

It's *terrible* reasoning.

Hint: You want AQ, K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] x [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and the occasional BB 43o to *fold*.
Old 12-17-2004, 09:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Turn: 6s
Checked to me, and I value bet 15. 5 call.

[/ QUOTE ]

How in the world is this a value bet?
Old 12-17-2004, 09:55 PM

Maybe value bet is a wrong word. I'm thinking of the limit-equivalent of betting a high flush draw on a 2-suited flop when there's more than 3 callers. I see people doing it often enough in NL SNGs. Sounds like you guys feel it's a bad play?

Suppose I make a pot-sized bet, and a person holding Q(h) knows about odds and folds. The only person that is going to call is someone with trips, and I'm an underdog to him. I guess i'm relying on folding equity and implied odds to justify this move?
Old 12-17-2004, 10:05 PM

It's not equivalent to the limit play. The board has already paired, and a Q high flush draw with 5 others in is NOT a good flush draw. If you do hit your flush (with bad odds to do so), you certainly won't be happy getting it all in as you are so far away from the nuts and will probably only get called by better hands, (occasionally lower flushes).

If you had an A high flush draw and the board wasn't paired, then maybe this would be a good bet.

You shouldn't bet the turn at all. You know you don't have the best current hand, are possibly drawing dead (if someone already has trips, and someone has a higher flush draw). Definetly check the turn and make any decisions on the river if your flush card hits....
Old 12-17-2004, 10:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
making small bets into the pot as a semi-value bet semi-probe bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would suggest upping your turn bet from "Semi-value(?)" to semi-bluff.

Bet the pot. Hope you get the pot there on the turn.

On the river, your flush is worth little. Especially once someone LEADS into you. They have probably got the boat.

But...hey, its a $10+1, maybe someone is betting their ace kicker on the 2 pairs. or has 3 pairs. THe pot had 5(!) way action into it, and you are calling a pot-sized river bet. YOu get 2:1 on your money (if you are the only caller). THink your flush is good one time in three?

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I almost like the action. Look him up! Throw in a call and get ready to type "nh" into the chat bar
Old 12-18-2004, 03:43 AM

I'm torn. I think it's a good fold, as you didn't get the dominant hand needed for your hole cards.

Personally, I would have folded PF, as this is the typical position you will find yourself in. Not knowing where you stand.