Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2004, 02:11 AM

Default are there any world class players who have add?

i was just wondering since i have add, really bad add that makes me lose stuff and forget important things. But i still think i am a good card player...
Old 12-18-2004, 02:12 AM

Default Re: are there any world class players who have add?

remember way back in the day, when they used to call ADD "not too sharp"?
Old 12-18-2004, 02:27 AM

I might have ADD and I don't have any problems, online it's very easy to keep notes, and live you can carry a notebook A la Greg Raymer.
Old 12-18-2004, 02:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
gee thanks for your post. Actually i was considered gifted for a long time until i had some struggles in life(eh 8th grade was a wierd year) and i was expelled. But i managed to graduate ok and did shockingly well on exams.for example: I would miss every hw assignment in the class but get an a on all the test and end up with a c-.I did this in basically every class i have.I went to a nice hs and they keep track of your grades on indivdual assignments in every class you take. It showed that i missed over 200 assignments.I believe that is some kind of record for a graduate there. I had one teacher who gave me a D on my report card and told my parents that i was the most briliant student he had ever taught. a lot of "performs below apparent ability" marks on my report cards.I don't know what that says about my intelligence, but the premise behind your joke is wrong. The premise, held by a lot of people(you are not alone!) is that ADD 1.) is a non-existent disease overprescribed by large drug corporations so they can sell more ritalin, and 2.) Are modern soft suburban society is too easy on people and instead of saying that we are lazy daydreaming pieces of crap, they diagnose a made up disease to justify it.
So lets think about those:
1.)You are right about one thing here: ADD is overprescirbed. But it is not non existent. It can be proven in patterns near the front of your brain(dont feel like getting into that)
2.)hmmmm guess i am a lazy unfocused piece of [censored]. O well. maybe you have a point
Anyways is anyone going to answer my question instead of making fun of me?
Old 12-18-2004, 03:38 AM

You can't spell, are grammar deficient, and couldn't manage to not get kicked out of school.

I'm sure you're brilliant and will be a phenomenal card player.

Is the the sort of encouragement that you're looking for? Good luck.

~D
Old 12-18-2004, 03:39 AM

There are successful people who have been diagnosed as being bipolar or having ADD in all walks of life. I know some excellent poker players who have such diagnoses, but I certainly wouldn't name them. There is too much of a stigma attached.

Barry
Old 12-18-2004, 04:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
non-existent disease overprescribed by large drug corporations

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, you are so smart, but you don't even know what the word prescribe means.
Old 12-18-2004, 04:09 AM

schizos make great card players..... one player to a hand rule doesnt apply to the voices, so i guess add is minor compared you will be awesone persevere
jason
Old 12-18-2004, 04:10 AM

Just to be certain, I want to specify that I'm not attacking this guy for any psychological disorder, just the actual content that he so painstakingly produced.

~D
Old 12-18-2004, 09:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
gee thanks for your post. Actually i was considered gifted for a long time until i had some struggles in life(eh 8th grade was a wierd year) and i was expelled. But i managed to graduate ok and did shockingly well on exams.for example: I would miss every hw assignment in the class but get an a on all the test and end up with a c-.I did this in basically every class i have.I went to a nice hs and they keep track of your grades on indivdual assignments in every class you take. It showed that i missed over 200 assignments.I believe that is some kind of record for a graduate there. I had one teacher who gave me a D on my report card and told my parents that i was the most briliant student he had ever taught. a lot of "performs below apparent ability" marks on my report cards.I don't know what that says about my intelligence, but the premise behind your joke is wrong. The premise, held by a lot of people(you are not alone!) is that ADD 1.) is a non-existent disease overprescribed by large drug corporations so they can sell more ritalin, and 2.) Are modern soft suburban society is too easy on people and instead of saying that we are lazy daydreaming pieces of crap, they diagnose a made up disease to justify it.
So lets think about those:
1.)You are right about one thing here: ADD is overprescirbed. But it is not non existent. It can be proven in patterns near the front of your brain(dont feel like getting into that)
2.)hmmmm guess i am a lazy unfocused piece of [censored]. O well. maybe you have a point
Anyways is anyone going to answer my question instead of making fun of me?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a very good post, but let's make two things clear here.

First off, ADD is not over-prescribed...you don't prescribe ADD, you diagnose it. Second, it's also very treatable in ADULTS, treatment is more difficult in children due to development reasons.

Now, go get some meds and play some cards dude.