Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2004, 09:07 AM

Default Procrastination problem

(cross posted on OOT)

I am a horrible procrastinator. I used to be a pretty average procrastinator (waiting until the night before), but I have become much worse this past year. Example: I had 3 essays due today none of which I turned in. Last night I stayed up late like I would do them and instead just found other things to do- I vowed not to play poker, so instead I have just sat and played probably 8 hours of solitare (probably the biggest waste of time in life).

Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions that may have worked? It is getting pretty absurd for me and I know it as it is happening, I just can't get myself up to do anything until I know that there is absoultely no possible way out of it, then I figure out a way to lie or give an excuse to get some extra time
Old 12-15-2004, 09:27 AM

Default Re: Procrastination problem

There's nothing wrong with not doing things you don't want too. I suspect you're just going to college to appease your parents and you hate it. There are no immutable laws that say you have to go to colleges (middle class institurions) so just stop going. Sure they'll all call you a no good sh*t and a slacker or a bum or other deragatory names. F*ck them. They are immortal. They have all the time in the world to do what they really want. You on the other hand have no time at all. To hell with them. Master. [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 12-15-2004, 09:34 AM

I have 1 semester to go at a 30k per year university. leaving now would be very -ev
Old 12-15-2004, 09:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have 1 semester to go at a 30k per year university. leaving now would be very -ev

[/ QUOTE ]

Well... Since it would be -EV I advise you to just bite the bullet and finish. I believe strongly in the previous advice that I gave you. But I shudder at the prospect of being in a -EV situation.
Old 12-15-2004, 09:44 AM

You always were a meat head... Ask your girlffriend where I can get some speed pills.
Old 12-15-2004, 09:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You always were a meat head... Ask your girlffriend where I can get some speed pills.

[/ QUOTE ]

You could try Fast Eddie's over on the east side. If you live downtown I recommend Big Little's place. Heard McQueen's got some sh*t going on in the east side as well. Big ups to Brooklyn. Peace.
Old 12-15-2004, 01:55 PM

I made it through college successfully, and although I was a procrastinator, it sounds like your problem is more severe.

I advise you to form some study partnerships with other students. A lot of the time we procrastinate because we don't have a clue as to how to begin, and so we don't. Discussing essay topics and plans of attack with others is a good way to overcome that "I don't have a f*cking clue" feeling.

Do you have a place where you (sort of) enjoy studying or writing? If not, then you have to find one. A lot of the time your home is the worst place of all. I used to only be able to get work down outside of my own place, so I spent a lot of time at cafes where I didn't have anything to do except my work. If you can force yourself to stay at some crappy student coffee shop until 1am or so on a regular basis, the work will get done.
Old 12-15-2004, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I used to only be able to get work down outside of my own place, so I spent a lot of time at cafes where I didn't have anything to do except my work.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, work and avoiding the canvassing Sierra Club hippies... really anyone with a clipboard... or a poorly-Xeroxed newsletter... or Yoshua. Now I remember why I always work at home.

Seriously pfunk, either get with it or get out. At this point, the -EV play is sitting around playing solitare so QUIT DOING IT. 90% of the people in the world probably can't even get to within one semester of graduating, so you might as well distinguish yourself. I had a writer living in my basement who dropped out of Penn State one *class* away from his English degree to "preserve his mystique" as a writer (or so he claimed). He wondered why no one would ever hire him as writer or publish his work, and he had to get a job at the local confectioners shop to pay rent. Don't let that be you.

Sam
Old 12-15-2004, 08:18 PM

Oh man, another Berkeley victim! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

You made me laugh my ass off when I read the Yoshua comment.
Old 12-15-2004, 08:33 PM

Thanks for the positive words and ideas. I'm headed to the computer lab as you read this and think I should be able to stay on track for a couple hours.