Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2004, 03:51 PM

Default You VS Them ??

I`m interested in the Internet Gambling scene for Hold `Em.

However I wonder how the house ( and you ) can avoid 2-3 people using different screen names/accounts playing as a group, using different computers in the same room and sharing infomation on down cards and draws.

The advantages for them would be Huge and you would be Screwed To The Wall.

I have checked out all the major Interent Gambling sites FAQ`s and seen nothing on this......

Any opinions here ????
Old 12-11-2004, 05:00 PM

Default Re: You VS Them ??

Most people don't have any idea how to collude effectively.

If you suspect something then you should report it to the site to investigate. They'll look at how often the players in question play at the same table, see if one of them is folding hands that normally shouldn't be folded, etc..

It happens but it's not something that should keep you up late at night.
Old 12-11-2004, 05:06 PM

Search the forums for collusion and you'll find it's been discussed a lot.

In short, it's not quite as easy as it sounds. Most beginners who try to collude end up losing money anyway because they lack basic poker skills.

Nonetheless it is a HUGE concern, and anybody who doesn't think there is a lot of collusion going on is naive. Human nature dictates that any time there is money involved, many (most?) people have zero hesitation resorting to cheating and stealing. And with the huge amounts of money flowing into online poker, the problem is only going to get worse as the criminals get more organized and technologically advanced.

The poker rooms combat this by monitoring play patterns. They look for illogical plays, players who play together often, players who play from the same location or network etc. Many players report suspicious circumstances and they are investigated as well.

We have to hope that the poker rooms keep ahead of the cheaters. Personally, I'm pessimistic about their ability to do so, but certainly a lot people on these forums don't see the least bit concerned about it, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.
Old 12-11-2004, 05:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I`m interested in the Internet Gambling scene for Hold `Em.

However I wonder how the house ( and you ) can avoid 2-3 people using different screen names/accounts playing as a group, using different computers in the same room and sharing infomation on down cards and draws.

The advantages for them would be Huge and you would be Screwed To The Wall.

I have checked out all the major Interent Gambling sites FAQ`s and seen nothing on this......

Any opinions here ????

[/ QUOTE ]

Most of the people you will find doing this are very unsophisticated and think that they are going to take an already losing game, join up with a couple of other losers and turn it all into a winning game.

Unfortunately this is not the case, now you not only need to play well, you need to avoid detection which is nearly impossible. If you are that good you are going to be playing with a very large sophisticated group at much higher levels, 15/30 and up, honestly it's too much trouble risking all your bank accts etc... Don't bother

One Street at a Time
wdbaker Denver, Co