Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2004, 05:07 AM

Default overplaying hands hand 2

The table seems loose, with a lot of soft spots. When i've been capped preflop and i hold JJ, it doesnt look too good. My question relates to the flop and turn. When UTG+2 raises my bet on a paired board and we get another two customers, should i 3 bet. The turn brings one over card, but with the board and the action, is this not just a check and call. Although i didnt get raised, a raise would really hurt my hand here. The river seems pretty straight forward.

Comments please.

UTG+2 43/10 w@sd 83 passive post flop.
bb 60/0 w@sd 47 passive post flop
button 51/10 w@sd 47 passive post flop.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. MP1 posts a blind of $1.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 raises</font>, MP1 (poster) folds, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 caps</font>, MP2 calls, Button calls, Hero calls, BB calls.

Flop: (21 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 raises</font>, MP2 folds, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB calls, UTG+2 calls, Button calls.

Turn: (16.50 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG+2 calls, Button calls.

River: (20.50 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, Button calls, Hero folds, BB calls.

Final Pot: 23.50 BB
Old 12-10-2004, 06:23 AM

Default Re: overplaying hands hand 2

Tricky situation. I would've done the same exact thing up until the river, but I really don't know what I would've done here. I think you're almost certainly beaten, but the pot is so big I'm not sure. Good hand for discussion.
Old 12-10-2004, 07:23 AM

Just too bad a Q and an Ace decided to show up. I don't think your overplaying it though.

Must be the "JJ never wins" mentality.
Old 12-10-2004, 08:10 AM

Not sure i fall under Must be the "JJ never wins" mentality. , i might go along the lines of "JJ never wins, when i've been capped preflop".

It seems the same with QQ, when ever it gets capped preflop i lose with em.
Old 12-10-2004, 08:48 AM

Mmmmm I missed that PF cap part. What kinda hands do ya put him on? Something like AQ? I think leading out the river with the intention of folding to a raise would've been a viable option despite the scare card(s). Checking will let the PF capper auto-bet.
Old 12-10-2004, 09:10 AM

Ranges of hands, in particular order. AA, KK, QQ, AK.

Looking back, other possibles include TT or AQs. With there being more than one player in, if im not beat in one place its usually in the other. I was prepared to call a river bet unless an A or K comes.
Old 12-10-2004, 09:36 AM

Hmmm the more I think about it, the more i like your river check. Its hard to see what hands you could beat with that kind of PF aggression.
Old 12-10-2004, 09:38 AM

What do you think of the flop. Once 3 bet and with people calling this, can a point be made for folding here?

Sorry, what i meant was once i've been raised and people have called can a case be made for folding. The more and more i think about this, the more i hate the 3 bet.
Old 12-10-2004, 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What do you think of the flop. Once 3 bet and with people calling this, can a point be made for folding here?

Sorry, what i meant was once i've been raised and people have called can a case be made for folding. The more and more i think about this, the more i hate the 3 bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I've seen people call a 3 bet/capped flop with just about anything (bottom pair, an ace, etc).