Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2004, 12:06 AM

Default Dissing SSHE on Cardplayer?

Jim Brier on SSHE hands

- He discusses two hands presented in SSHE.

- He disagrees with the advice given in both hands.

- The Editor notes at the end of the article: Jim Brier has co-authored a new book with Bob Ciaffone entitled Middle Limit Holdem Poker. It is available through Card Player.

Hmmmmmmm... thoughts?
Old 12-09-2004, 12:28 AM

Default Re: Dissing SSHE on Cardplayer?

I think he is pointing out the exeptions to Millers examples. Which the authors note in the beggining of the book, that there are exceptions to all of their examples. To me Miller's views in the situations have a higer EV than cardplayers.
Old 12-09-2004, 01:03 AM

Hand one is ironic, since in MLHP there are many examples of such folds.
Old 12-09-2004, 02:20 AM

Sounds like he's just trying to attack Miller's logic for people who have a. never read SSHE, or b. read it and did not understand it. He's offering very simplistic advice - you have the best hand so bet the hell out of it - to the people who cannot understand the advice offered in SSHE. It's a business move to try and sell his book.
Old 12-09-2004, 02:27 AM

Not really sure I can disagree with Briar on either hand. I know that I auto-raise Hand #1, and he makes a good point about not knowing whether they'll be a turn bet to raise in Hand #2.
Old 12-09-2004, 02:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sounds like he's just trying to attack Miller's logic for people who have a. never read SSHE, or b. read it and did not understand it. He's offering very simplistic advice - you have the best hand so bet the hell out of it - to the people who cannot understand the advice offered in SSHE. It's a business move to try and sell his book.

[/ QUOTE ]This is too harsh. Ed will be writing a counterpoint article and this is something they worked on together. As far as I can tell without having met either of them, they're both really good guys and just enjoy discussing poker. Here are a couple of links to Ed's comments:

link1

link2
Old 12-09-2004, 02:53 AM

Reading his article, I don't think this was "dissing" at all. It was a disagreement obviously, but nothing approaching an East coast-West coast rap gang rivalry or anything. I don't think Ed Miller wants to smoke his ass. People can dissagree, even those very knowegdable on thier subject. Still, I can't see raising in example one. If you are behind you are WAY behind, and there is not reason to stick your neck out for a small pot. Then again I'm just another 2+2 koolaid drinker, so what do I know? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-09-2004, 12:52 PM

This isn't the case. Jim is a friend of mine, and we have discussed my book together on several occasions. We are writing a point/counterpoint set of articles about SSH for the new 2+2 Internet Magazine for January. You will find that the tone of Jim's article on 2+2 will be significantly different.

In case you don't know, Cardplayer and 2+2 Publishing had a falling out about six months ago, and Cardplayer now has a policy of not advertising 2+2 products.
Old 12-09-2004, 01:07 PM

Thanks for taking the time to clear that up Ed.
Old 12-09-2004, 01:47 PM

Hmmm, maybe that's part of the reason that twoplustwo is going to be starting up its own magazine.

As a new subscriber to Cardplayer, I have to say that I've been pretty unimpressed with the last two months of it -- I have a sneaking suspicion that twoplustwo is about to lay down a serious ass-beating [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].