Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2004, 02:16 PM

Default Bet into with TPTK

Eighth or ninth hand of a 50+5. Two people have already busted and I'm a little shortstacked with ~800.

I pick up A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] in MP and raise 1 limper to 75. The BB and the limper call for a pot of 225.

The flop is A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. BB checks and the limper bets 200. I think for a little while and call. BB folds. Standard?

Turn below in white - read this after you answer the first part: <font color="white"> The turn is an offsuit 7. The limper now bets 90 into the pot of 600 or so. I pretend to think and then push my 600. </font> Standard?
Old 12-03-2004, 02:33 PM

Default Re: Bet into with TPTK

On the flop, I like a raise. You ask if standard??? Some may call only, but that gives the BB odds for a call (3 to 1). I like raise and get heads-up, possible ending the hand there.

I agree with you turn play. Small bet suggests a pair of 1010 or 99, weak ace or flush draw. I agree with end the hand now or make him make a bad call. There is always the possibility of a set, however, I would expect a larger bet on turn for value. Especially since you called a pot size bet on flop and he would want to drive out any flush draw himself.

Curious of result.
Old 12-03-2004, 03:01 PM

A set is always possible here, but is there anything wrong with just pushing after the 200 flop bet? That's probably how I'd play it. Put my chips in the middle and be done with it. If someone's got a set, you're beat anyway, but make the draws pay here. Am I being too simplistic about this?
Old 12-03-2004, 03:08 PM

No. but OESDs are unlikely due to the PF raise, and both the flush A and K are accounted for. A draw just isn't likely here. Hero is up against a weaker ace, an underpair, or a set. If its the latter wave bye bye to my stack.

I like a cheesey little min raise on the flop to hopefully get Villain pot commited with a worse hand. The call is fine too but I'm not pushing the turn after that weak @ss bet. You have him, don't let him get away by pushing. I raise to around 350 here.
Old 12-03-2004, 03:20 PM

The only reason I suggested a flush possibility in my above post is the person involved limped and then called getting just about 3 to 1 odds. QcJc or Jc10c are possible hands. I don't mean that like all hands a possible. Just hands where I can see a limper and then a call with odds. I agree the more likely culprits are middle pair (lower end between A and 8) and weak ace.
Old 12-03-2004, 03:23 PM

What you write makes sense, but if you're up against a set, you're bye bye after pushing on the turn anyway. The reason I might just be all in on the flop is that he only got an extra 90 chips from his opponent before pushing anyway. For that, a weaker ace (AQ?) or a draw gets to see the turn card. Is that the risk / reward worth it?
Old 12-03-2004, 03:31 PM

The limper is making a pot-sized bet, which means that he wants to win the pot right there. Maybe he hit a set or a 2 pair and is worried about the flush draw, but that seems unlikely. I would put him on something like AQ, or AJ, or perhaps even a flush draw himself.

The BB might be setting a trap, but you can't worry about that. You have a stack of 700, and the bet is 200 to you. That's almost 30% of your stack. I think you're ahead. I would go all-in. You may lose if you allow the limper (or the BB) to draw another card.

I don't understand why you would go all-in on the turn, if you weren't willing to go all-in on the flop. You were in a better situation on the flop. Now there is a 3 straight on the board, and the limper has a better idea about the strength of his own hand and whether or not to call your all-in bet. And if the limper had you beat on the flop with a set or a 2 pair, then he still has you beat.
Old 12-03-2004, 03:46 PM

My point exactly, couldn't have said it better myself jcm.
Old 12-03-2004, 03:47 PM

Let me be a little clearer here:

-On the flop, I put the bettor on an ace (AQ would play this way, for example) or a flush draw. The draw didn't worry me too much because I had the K and would be able to take a free card on the turn if it hit.

The BB didn't worry me one bit unless he were to smooth call.

Also, while I didn't think it through that thoroughly, the pot on the flop is now big enough so that a flush draw calls an all in anyway.

Turn comment in white: <font color="white"> This flop bet followed by this turn bet is a draw 99.7% of the time. </font>
Old 12-03-2004, 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, while I didn't think it through that thoroughly, the pot on the flop is now big enough so that a flush draw calls an all in anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good. Don't you want the flush draw to call the all in on the flop? If you wait until the turn, he gets off easy.