Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2004, 11:34 AM

Default How do I become better at reading?

Little backround, i have been playing online poker, and poker at all, about 1˝years. And some weird way I have managed to get up to level where I have played 25/50nl, 100/200 fixed, etc. By winning, not too much rich parrents sponsoring kids playing here [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Anyway I still find the problem which I had when I started playing poker, im not very good at reading my opponents hands, and I have even less abbility to lay down my good hands when I feel im beated.

I think this is related to fact that I dont concentrate enough good when playing.. im reading emails and watching bigger games..

Any advices, or should I just start trusting on my feelings and fold even very good hands when I feel like beated.

Things are better in live-games and I can laydown good hands there, and know when to bluff. Offcourse someone could say that "then start playing more live games".. yeah but when biggest and only holdem which runs is $2.5/$2.5 cant make much proffit from there. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Thx
Old 12-03-2004, 02:16 PM

Default Re: How do I become better at reading?

The Theory of Poker has a pretty good chapter on reading hands.
Old 12-03-2004, 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think this is related to fact that I dont concentrate enough good when playing.. im reading emails and watching bigger games..

[/ QUOTE ]

If you want to improve your hand reading skills, you might want to watch the hands that you're not involved in. Watch how the hands play out, and try and put your opponents on certain ranges of hands.
Old 12-03-2004, 04:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How do I become better at reading?

[/ QUOTE ]
Hooked On Phonics.
Old 12-04-2004, 08:24 AM

I am not a good player (been playing consistantly for about 3 months), but watch the players; how many hands they play, their betting patterns, what kind of hands they show, and of the course their actions on the actual hand. A player who doesnt show any strength, and then bets out on a totally innocent river card is ususally making a hopeless move.

I pretty much immediately starting playing 4 tables, but I've found out that playing 2 might be better for a new player like myself. I get more time to focus on my own play and reading the other players, instead of constantly changing windows barely having time to make a bet [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]