Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2004, 03:36 PM

Default Top Pair+Nut Flush Draw against LAG, fairly deep

Don't remember the hand exactly but it went something like this:

$2/4, I haven't been at the table long, I doubled up in the first orbit, then won another pot that put me around $900. Vallain has about the same. So far, he seems a little laggish, but not out of line.

He min-raises to $8 UTG, one caller, I call in LMP w/ A10s (clubs), both blinds call.

Pot ~ 40
Flop: AJ2, two clubs

Villain leads for $30, fold to me, I call, blinds fold.

Pot~$100
Turn: offsuit brick
Villain bets $80. I call.

Pot~260
River: Offsuit Q

Board: AJ26Q

Villain bets $260, I fold.

Not sure how to play this in position with deep stacks. I was confused with the minraise UTG (the only hand i ever do that with is AKs, and not very often) and since he was a little LAGish, i was worried if I raised either the flop or turn he'd come back over the top of me, which I wouldn't mind if the stacks were smaller, but I didn't feel like playing what could be only a flush draw for my stack. (I couldn't tell yet if he was good, tricky LAG or on the bad side, so I really had no idea if my aces were good/ok/or dominated.)
Old 11-29-2004, 03:44 PM

Default Re: Top Pair+Nut Flush Draw against LAG, fairly deep

i think your line is fine

on the flop you obviously dont want to raise a utg min raiser with hand hand, knowing you have very little fold equity and the chances he screws up your odds with a reraise is semi-large

on the turn, calling is fine. it would be more borderline if you knew there was no chance he would check the river when an offsuit card hits

on the river, folding again seems fine. your pair of aces is worthless by now, and you missed your draw. his range has your hand dominated a huge % of time.
Old 11-29-2004, 05:05 PM

Why wouldn't you raise the flop and try to have him check the turn to you (is it because he is a LAG and won't check the turn and may come over the top?) If you make your draw great, if not isn't it a cheap way to get to showdown? What does a minraise mean? How can you automatically put villian on a bigger ace? just because of the UTG minraise? I'm just curious about your thought process...
Old 11-29-2004, 06:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why wouldn't you raise the flop and try to have him check the turn to you (is it because he is a LAG and won't check the turn and may come over the top?)

[/ QUOTE ]

yes

[ QUOTE ]
What does a minraise mean

[/ QUOTE ]

the minimum raise allowed, i.e. the previous bet/raise

[ QUOTE ]
How can you automatically put villian on a bigger ace

[/ QUOTE ]

on the flop, i didnt, though an UTG raise and then leading out on an A high flop means he's either got an ace or is bluffing, in which im either way ahead or way behind.

when he bet the turn and river when they blanked, then i was 99% sure he had a better ace.
Old 11-29-2004, 07:04 PM

River card is definitely not a blank. It gives JQ two pair and QQ a set. I might consider calling if it were not a face card.

I think you played it OK.
Old 11-29-2004, 11:33 PM

fyi, I know what a minraise is, what I meant was, what does a minraise mean in this game from this opponenet. I.e. what does he do this with etc...I still think it's a good fold, too often I raise the flop...
Old 11-30-2004, 12:44 AM

Stealing my move, kid! No, I think that either way to play it is fine, I might have raised depending on whether I thought he would have pushed all in over the top. I put him on a stronger A, whether or not he hit two pair. Probably not trips by the read, but your hand is pretty weak for a river call imo.
Get him next time.
Old 11-30-2004, 07:01 AM

anyone think about check raising the flop for a small amount to try and get a free river card in case you brick on the turn?

also, would you feel better here playing for all your chips with a T high flop and the same nut draw? do you play this much faster/stronger? you have a few more outs against JJ/QQ/KK but its still not enough to put you in the lead.
Old 11-30-2004, 11:35 AM

Suppose you reraise big on the flop, if Villian calls he'd probably check the turn so you can see a free river card.

If he reraises you again, you could go all in, getting some decent fold equity no?

If he calls you with AK you still will win ~45%, the the push is justified no?

Even if he's got top set you still will win 30% of the time, not like you're drawing dead, so I reckon the fold equity makes this line ok. Am I crazy for thinking like this? Just my suggestion.
Old 11-30-2004, 11:58 AM

anyone think about check raising the flop

tough to do in LP [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

also, would you feel better here playing for all your chips with a T high flop and the same nut draw? do you play this much faster/stronger?

yes, you now have TPTK, instead of TP-meh-K. now he has to have an overpair just to be a coinflip, unless he has AA, then i think its like 70-30.

back to the ace high flop:

degree of speed with which you play these flops depends on position, stack sizes, gamboooling mood at the time, and most importantly, fold equity .

against a guy who will never lay down and overpair, just call him until you hit, then take his $$.

short-med stacks, I play it very fast.

med-deep stacks, much slower for two reasons.
1. if you raise big on the flop, you may face a big reraise, which would suck with this good of a hand.
2. not as important, but if he has K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] or KJ [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (or maybe even messing around w 89[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], you are fixing to win a HUGE pot if the flush hits, so you dont want to lose him with a big flop raise.

lastly, a nitpick:

you have a few more outs against JJ/QQ/KK but its still not enough to put you in the lead.

if he doesnt have a club, then you are slightly ahead, if he does, then you are slightly behind, but both are +-2% of a coinflip, so its really negligible.

hope that makes sense