Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2004, 11:19 AM

Default Flopped trips against a LAG

Villan is a LAG, but even a LAG gets good cards sometimes. Did I wuss out on the turn? Did I overplay it against a 3-betting hand? Thanks.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="666666">6 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (7 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">SB raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">SB caps</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (7.50 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (13.50 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 15.50 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 15.50 BB, between Hero and SB.</font>
Old 11-24-2004, 03:23 PM

Default Re: Flopped trips against a LAG

I think this hand is very player-dependent. Had you seen this LAG slow down in previous hands when played back at? Did he 3-bet a lot of previous preflop raises, or did he more often raise if no one else had but just call if it was two bets to him? Was ace-rag a 3-betting hand for him? These are important questions, I think.

It does seem to me, though, that you picked a good time to slow down. I am influenced by my B&amp;M 3/6 experience though (I played a lot of B&amp;M 3/6 before I ever played online). The live players I face, including the preflop maniacs, usually slow down on the expensive streets (especially the river) when played back at, unless they have a hand. By the time I'm getting 3-bet on the turn or river in live play, I expect to see something strong. But, of course, online play can be very different from what I just described. (I have trouble adjusting back-and-forth between the two, sometimes.)

Anyway, there are some opponents you'd want cap every street against with trip aces. Maybe the LAG in this hand is one of those.

But I wouldn't ordinarily put in any more bets than you did. When my opponent keeps raising, what I first heard as "I don't think you have trip aces" turns into "I have trip aces" and later "I can beat your trip aces" in my head. Sometimes, though, what the raises mean instead is something more like (I'm guessing here) "I have pocket tens!" or "If I keep raising, he'll fold eventually" or "There's no way he has anything" or "Man, I sure love to raise" or "I bet the next card will make my flush" or "I just know I'm going to catch sixes full by the river."

In this hand, I think there's a good chance both you and your opponent have an ace. Eventually, the preflop 3-bet and SB's unwillingness to slow down makes me worry that he also has a king. But I do think it depends on the player.