Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2004, 02:31 AM

Default Poker ONLY laptop recommendations.

I know we've had a few "what sytem to buy" threads, but I'm looking for a poker-only laptop.

Any recommendations.

I guess it doesn't need to be fancy; just be able to handle PT. Do any come with good monitors? Or just get a cheap one and add a separate montor for the tables?

Thanks all

dogs
Old 11-22-2004, 03:30 AM

Default Re: Poker ONLY laptop recommendations.

If you have 1700 to spare, pick up a Sony A series. You won't regret it.
Old 11-22-2004, 04:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you have 1700 to spare, pick up a Sony A series. You won't regret it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there a big difference between these and say the dell's everyone has?

edit: are these teh sony vaio's. I heard somewhere these are good. Tho' I generally know nothing about tech stuff.
Old 11-22-2004, 04:53 AM

buy yourself a cheap IBM thinkpad. Best built laptop on the market, simply put. Best support, best made.
Old 11-22-2004, 05:01 AM

Actually Sony computers are crappy, but the screen on the A series is 1920 x 1200 resolution which is great for poker. Thinkpad is a great laptop, but for poker only you wouldn't benefit from anything a Thinkpad has to offer. I mean basically laptops are all the same, you just need one with the proper display. That leaves you with Dell or Sony, although there may be some others. Dell will work, but the Sony is luxurious and has the glossy screen that gives better color reproduction.
Old 11-22-2004, 05:03 AM

Anything with 1920x1200 resolution will do.
Old 11-22-2004, 09:04 AM

While many including myself have the Dell 8600, I dont think it is true 16x12 resolution. While I can play 4 tables comfortably, there is about 15% vertical overlap of tables. That being said, I think it is still a great choice as I have it on for 12 hours sometimes and it doesnt get hot, or noisy a big problem Ive had with other laptops
Old 11-22-2004, 09:51 AM

I got the near bottom of the barrel for the laptop. I did not see a need to spend >1000 for it since it was only going to be used for poker and surfing. You may even want to get a re-firbed one. I plan on getting another one soon as a back up.

I have an HP pavillion ze5700 and I am happy with it
Old 11-22-2004, 10:36 AM

You either didn't order it with the 1920x1200 resolution or you don't have it set. There is no overlap with 4 tables at 1920x1200.

Lost Wages
Old 11-22-2004, 11:35 AM

Any name brand laptop that handles the resolution you are after will do the trick. Unlike the old days laptops all work pretty good right now.

The thing to look for in laptops is after sales tech support. Reason being people tend to mistreat their laptops by throwing them in the back seat of the car and stuff. Laptops can withstand more shock now than 2 years ago but it is still not good. Consequently you are more likely to have a problem with a laptop than a desktop.

I have said it before but I will say it again. Dell has a reputation as having the least responsive, least capable tech support in the industry. IBM, HP/Compaq, Toshiba, Sony, Fujitsu in no particular order are all better bets IMHO.

The only evidence I have of DELL sucking is as someone pointed out, anecdotal. I have not hired a research group to supply my info. I have just run across bad beat story after bad beat story concerning DELL.

If it was just that I had a bone to pick with a computer company it would be IBM I would be bashing. I personally have never had a problem with DELL and they have never done anything to harm me. IBM on the other hand screwed me out of thousands of dollars in profit when they started selling direct to one of my biggest clients. IBM makes good equipment though and has great tech support. I just don't sell their stuff anymore.