Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2004, 11:02 AM

Default WLLH question re PF chapters

Hey thanks to regular posters, I have been lurking for a few weeks and appreciate the insights - although I am too much of a beginner to benefit from all of it. Anyway . . .

Basic question about WLLH chapter on PF play. I am re-reading WLLH, and LJ divides PF hands into (roughly) 5 categories: raise w/no raise in front, call w/no raise in front, re-raise, call raise, fold. The book does not explicitly discuss what to do if you have already called, and a player in later position raises. I presume that you treat this as a "raise in front" situation, and only call with "call raise" hands. But I have this nagging doubt in the back of my head, since there is no statement to this effect. Do you treat a PF raise differently if you have already called - according to WLLH?

In other words, you have a hand that is good enough to call with no raise in front, but not good enough to call a raise, in early position. What to do with your hand when you already called, but later position raises?

I know this may be obvious, but having more money in the pot as the result of raise may change things?

Thanks,
SeeWillie submit his first post [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-23-2004, 11:19 AM

Default Re: WLLH question re PF chapters

If you've already limped, and it gets raised behind you, you should almost always call for one more bet.

If you limp, and it gets raised and reraised, then you should only call with premium hands, and capping is probably better than calling. But then, why were you just limping with a premium hand in the first place? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

-- Kevin
Old 11-23-2004, 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you've already limped, and it gets raised behind you, you should almost always call for one more bet.

If you limp, and it gets raised and reraised, then you should only call with premium hands, and capping is probably better than calling. But then, why were you just limping with a premium hand in the first place? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

-- Kevin

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. If it's one more bet back to you, consider it like your original call (but play delicately post flop). If it's two or more bets back to you, it's unlikely that you need to be in that hand, unless you're one of those people that never raises Aces UTG.

Freakin
Old 11-23-2004, 05:09 PM

I really like WLLH for a new player. However, I will say this, for me the PF section of SSH really turned on the lightbulb as to understanding PF concepts as opposed to memorising charts.

I would pick up SSH and read the PF section, even if you don't read the rest of it until later.
Old 11-23-2004, 06:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would pick up SSH and read the PF section, even if you don't read the rest of it until later.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is appalling (but also good) advice. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]