Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2004, 06:54 PM

Default Folding aces on the river in a decent sized pot.

Partypoker $2/$4 Hold'em

Sitting in the BB at a pretty decent table. 3 very loose limpers to me (two have around 6BB left total each, and are generally just simple calling stations). I look down and see A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. I raise, everyone calls. 4 to the flop for 8SB.

Flop comes 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB checks, I bet, 2 really bad limpers call, SB folds.

Turn (5.5BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. I bet, everyone calls.

River (8.5BB): J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

I bet, limper one calls, limper two raises. I decide to save one BB and fold.

Is this all routine?

Rob
Old 11-15-2004, 06:58 PM

Default Re: Folding aces on the river in a decent sized pot.

Are you good 1:12.5 with a the raiser possibly thinking his pocket pair > 5 or lone 5 is enough to take this one down?

It's probably close.
Old 11-15-2004, 07:01 PM

I always call here. The raiser might have a pocket pair, and decide that the pair of jacks on the board increases his chances. What do you do with your aces when you get a flop like: JJx, and someone shows aggression against you?
Old 11-15-2004, 07:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I always call here. The raiser might have a pocket pair, and decide that the pair of jacks on the board increases his chances. What do you do with your aces when you get a flop like: JJx, and someone shows aggression against you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Flop agression from an unknown and a river raise from a calling station are a completely different beast.
Old 11-15-2004, 07:04 PM

Looks good. The fact that a backdoor flush and hte 2nd jack hit makes this a fold IMO. If the J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] hit, I might pay this off.

Brad
Old 11-15-2004, 07:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]The raiser (calling station; loose-passive in general, as per my read) waited until the river (not only a J, but the J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]) to raise my betting. Not only did he raise me, but he raised me after a caller. How does the overcaller change things here?

Rob
Old 11-15-2004, 07:08 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

[ QUOTE ]
What do you do with your aces when you get a flop like: JJx, and someone shows aggression against you?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a much different situation.

b
Old 11-15-2004, 07:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]The raiser (calling station; loose-passive in general, as per my read) waited until the river (not only a J, but the J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]) to raise my betting. Not only did he raise me, but he raised me after a caller. How does the overcaller change things here?

Rob

[/ QUOTE ]

A rational player will not try and run a bluff against two opponents. However, your opponents aren't necessarily rational, especially when their stacks get short. I would call down.
Old 11-15-2004, 07:16 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

[ QUOTE ]
Is this all routine?

[/ QUOTE ]

It is if it's unlikely that this player is trying to bump you off your hand. Against a non-tricky opponent, this could be an easy fold. He isn't bluffing. You give no indication of the tendency of this player in this spot.

You've shown no signs of possible folding on the river, (discounting possible previous hands in the session, of course) and you've represented a strong hand all the way. In raising, i think he may be expecting you to call.

If unsure, you call. If this was an unknown player, i'd call it. Not liking it, but i'd still call. The info you gain and use later on will make up for what you lose by calling the bet. But you have to use that info. Not play against the guy 12 hands later, same spot and ask the same question.

b
Old 11-15-2004, 07:21 PM

I should've mentioned that the other limper (the one who called my river bet) had $1 left at this point, so I was 99.99% sure I was getting the information anyway. The line on the river was purely trying to get the most profit from the hand.

Rob