Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2004, 12:30 AM

Default What is the best way to play deuces here?

Looking back, I think I should have either called on the flop, or raise more (like all-in). What is the best way to play this hand?

My read on my opponent was TAG and was not playing many hands. By his betting, it looked like he had a high pocket pair. However on a previous hand, I raised his BB to 90, and he reraised to 300 with AKo.

Blinds are 15/30
Hero is UTG+1
Villain is BB

PokerStars Game #857730862: Tournament #3357496, Hold'em No Limit - Level II
Table '3357496 1' Seat #3 is the button
Seat 3: neonknight27 (2285 in chips)
Seat 5: darinvg (1175 in chips)
Seat 6: fishinghooks (1885 in chips)
Seat 7: Knabraps (2040 in chips)
Seat 9: jd2b2006 (1615 in chips)
darinvg: posts small blind 15
fishinghooks: posts big blind 30
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to jd2b2006 [2d 2s]
Knabraps: folds
jd2b2006: raises 60 to 90
neonknight27: folds
darinvg: folds
fishinghooks: calls 60
*** FLOP *** [4h 5d 3c]
fishinghooks: bets 210
jd2b2006: raises 210 to 420
fishinghooks: calls 210
*** TURN *** [4h 5d 3c] [Jh]
fishinghooks: bets 540
jd2b2006: folds
Old 11-15-2004, 04:26 PM

Default Re: What is the best way to play deuces here?

Any thoughts would really help me out
Old 11-15-2004, 04:38 PM

you definately do not want to be raising with dueces preflop is a pretty terrible hand. I like to limp with dueces and fold if i don't get my set. Against online players its hard to outplay someone after the flop, especially in MTTs when you don't have a good read on most players. Don't mess around with that hand after a non-set flop in general, its going to lose you a lot of money in the long run
Old 11-15-2004, 04:59 PM

There are times to pop with dueces with great position...this isnt one of them. Seems like you ar elooking for any excuse to pop the blkinds and put pressure on your opponents and this is admirable; but you really got to pick your spots and hands you want to do this with. I dont like raising here this early when yur really handcuffed post-flop and cant ever call a reraise. PLUS, i want alot of players in with (22) its a drawing hand for sets. I want someone too catch tptk on a ragged flop and get stubborn..i want someone to flop 2 pair and get crazy thats how 2-2 pays the bills not by trying to bully with them just doesnt work early in a tourney for the same reason catching a set works so well people ar eplaying too fast at the beginning, not folding enough and holding onto top pair like it is golden.
Old 11-15-2004, 05:27 PM

Why are you playing 22 so aggressively? I prefer to limp with that hand and play it for set value. The fact that you flopped the low-end of the 3-connected flop allows you to call a flop bet with proper odds to draw to the str8. I really think that you just threw away chips at this point.
Old 11-15-2004, 05:44 PM

I am all for folding these here pre-flop. There is not a single hand that you want to see. Every other PP that might call you has you beat 4:1. What do you do if you are significantly reraised? Got to fold them then. Even 34 has a coin flip against you. If it is early on at a full table I might limp them in late position for the set value but that is it.

At this point the blinds are 15/30 and you are not in the position to be trying to pick up blinds. Limp the 22 and see where you are at. A raise might confuse your opponents if you hit your set but you dont want anyone to fold a hand that might pay you off when a 2 come. If you are going to play for a set get everyone in the with you. If you raise then every time you dont hit your "bottom" set you are spewing chips from your stack. Protect those chips and wait for a playable hand.

The 3,4,5 flop doesnt make your twos and better. It gives you an additional 8 outs (and the 6 may not seal it for you - even another 2 for your set would give an Ace a straight.) You dont know at this point if your opp. has a higher PP or two overcards. Pocket pair and you are drawing slim. Even with only 2 overs Ax. - he would still have a good chance to beat you. Good fold after the reraise though not worth drawing another card.
Old 11-15-2004, 06:36 PM

Why are you 5-handed at level 2?
Old 11-15-2004, 07:17 PM

We were 5-handed because it was a private tournament a friend of mine told me about. I wanted to practice my short-handed game with big stacks compared to blinds. Not that this type of situation comes up often.

Thanks to everyone's suggestions. At a full table I almost never come in for a raise with 22-99 in this situation. Hell, I never usually raise someone on flops with them either. I thought he only had A-x and I could push him off of it. But looking back, it was a weak raise. At most, I should have called, if not folded. In conclusion, lesson learned.