Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2004, 02:46 AM

Default Magic Words...

I hadn't played live poker for a few months, been screwing around on the SNGs on party for a couple of weeks. I played decently last night but tonight i sucked it up something royal, anyone have any majic words that might help...
Two hands for inspiration-

Hand 1- 10-20
UTG raises, two coldcallers, "ahem" hero calls in the sb with K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
BB calls.
Flop:
J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
"hero" checks BB checks
UTG Bets- UTG+1 raises other limper folds
Quasi hero calls, bb folds UTG three bets both call.
Turn 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Hero checks, UTG bets UTG +1 raises
Hero folds.

Hand 2.
Four limpers to Hero in cutoff with QJo
hero limps, button folds blinds do that thing they do.
Flop
Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
checked to hero's right who bets, hero raises, blinds do their thing limpers fold better calls.
Turn
8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
checked to hero who bets all call
river
3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
checked to hero who checks.

Flame away-
but use charcoal
I am all out of propane and propane accesories
Old 11-13-2004, 04:41 AM

Default Re: Magic Words...

1) K6s - fold preflop period. Just what do you hope to catch in this spot. Not a K for sure. OK, you called, now bet the flop. Check/call has defined your hand and set you up to get no action if you make your hand.

2) Fold, you are the one giving implied odds. See why?

No flame intended, just MHO.
Old 11-13-2004, 11:29 AM

Having decided to play K6s, a flush draw is the best flop you can hope for. Bet the flop. See the river.
Old 11-13-2004, 02:45 PM

Do not bet the flop. If the PF raiser was on the button then that's fine, but why have him shut out the two cold callers with a raise?

I would have thrown a raise in somewhere on that flop. A check-raise three-bet might knock out a better K giving you a couple more outs, but I'm more a fan of capping after the PF raiser three-bet to disguise the flush draw.

I'd want to see a river also, but apparently, hero had some kind of read and went with it.
Old 11-13-2004, 03:04 PM

I'll be honest, I don't see a fold for hand #2. I mean, the pf call might be a little marginal, but post flop is fine. Elaborate for me.
Old 11-13-2004, 03:09 PM

exactly what are you hoping flops by playying this hand in a multiway pot. 66x is probably the only hand you can get paid off with.
Old 11-13-2004, 03:10 PM

"I would have thrown a raise in somewhere on that flop. A check-raise three-bet might knock out a better K giving you a couple more outs, but I'm more a fan of capping after the PF raiser three-bet to disguise the flush draw."

My goal was to c/r the flop to trap the coldcallers, but when it was already raised and other caller folded i just called. I don't bother disguising flush draws in this game, the players play the board, they will get paranoid and check the river if the flush comes 90% of the time anyway- so a c/r isn't likely to work and i may as well just bet out if i hit.

As for this
"I'd want to see a river also, but apparently, hero had some kind of read and went with it."

paranoided out- having played the SNG's for a while warped my mind and i decided a safe fold was better than a call. I regretted it instantly, and i need to learn to switch back and forth from SNG type thinking to limit thinking.
Old 11-13-2004, 03:11 PM

My problem with ahnd number 2 was the lack of a value bet on the end.