Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2004, 07:35 PM

Default Borrowing a winning poker play from American Sports

I would like to reference the last three champions in major American sports, and tie in their strategies to poker. The Boston Red Sox swept the St. Louis Cardinals by shutting down the St Louis potent offensive threat with lights out pitching. The Detroit Pistons beat out the heavily favored Los Angeles Lakers in 5 games using defense and team unity. Finally, the New England Patriots won SuperBowl XXXVIII after one of the most dominant seasons in NFL history using nothing else than dominant defense and a burning desire to win. The thing that these three teams had in common is that they all prevented the other team from scoring. As poker players, we can learn something from sports champions. The ability to defend a great offensive is what defines a winning competetor. In poker, the strongest defense is the ability to be cautious, and folding when you are beat regardless of the strength of your hand would be the ultimate goalline stand. It is for this reason that the ability to fold is the most important skill that an aspiring poker player can learn. Replies appreciated
Old 11-12-2004, 11:29 PM

Default Re: Borrowing a winning poker play from American Sports

I like this analogy and think that folding is very important, but feel that the direct comparison is flawed. In any "major" sport, your opponents goal (to score points) can only be accomplished in an obvious and (somewhat straightforward) manner. IE score a run, basket, field goal, touchdown, what have you. In poker, they can take your money without you knowing 100% that you're beat. A football (or baseball or basketball) player can't represent having scored and have his opponents concede the points to him. In poker, i can represent a flush, and my opponenet may fold. The lack of certainty involved means making a "good laydown" isn't as clear as a great blocked shot, interception, or double play. The laydown may have been terrible, but the double play never is.

I think that folding is Very Important, but folding too often is TERRIBLE. there's no such thing as playing too much good defense in team sports, but one can fold too often in poker.
Old 11-14-2004, 04:39 AM

i agree, my point is that in order to succeed in anything competetive, the person and or team who is best defensively is going to win 90% of the time unless they are completely inadequate offensively (ala the buckeyes)
Old 11-15-2004, 06:42 AM

The best defense is a good offense.

silly