Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2004, 12:19 PM

Default Stars $215 hand

hey guys, I just am starting to mix up my play with some tourneys so I thought I would post this hand.

Its the $215 Sunday on Stars. About 1000 out of 2000 left. I've been up and down from the 2500 initial to about 4000 and now I'm back to about a 2500 stack. Average is close to 4k. Blinds are 100/200.

I'm in the BB with A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

3 limpers and SB completes. Everyone has me covered. Almost every pot has been raised preflop so I'm happy to see a flop here. I check.

Flop: A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
Pot: ($1000)

1st question: SB checks. I ???

2nd question: Assuming I check, 1st limper in MP(about 4k stack)bets $700. 2nd limper (biggish stack) calls. Folded to me. I ???
Old 11-16-2004, 01:38 PM

Default Re: Stars $215 hand

I could be wrong here, but I don't see why you wouldn't push on the flop as soon as the SB checks to you.
Old 11-16-2004, 01:52 PM

I would just push preflop, but if I didn't, there is no way I'm not pushing ont his flop
Old 11-16-2004, 02:05 PM

One reason not to push is that there are not many free cards that can hurt your hand. It may be better to check and see how the action develops.
Old 11-16-2004, 02:15 PM

How exactly are there not many free cards that can hurt your hand? You have no idea what your opponents holdings are and you only have top pair on a 4 flush board. I would be worried about any paint on the turn, and especially a diamond.
Old 11-16-2004, 02:21 PM

yea I made a mistake. I didn't notice the two diamonds. I tried to edit my post to say don't pay any attention to what I just said but apparently it didn't show up.
Old 11-16-2004, 02:31 PM

Another king, five, queen, ten, or even a jack could be killer as well. Not to mention any of the other cards in the deck that could give one of those limpers a set. Or a diamond. Actually, I think the only two cards in the deck that are clearly safe are the other two aces. The more I think about it, you definitly have to push the flop.
Old 11-16-2004, 02:38 PM

Like I said, I didn't notice the two diamonds when I made my original post.

Suppose there was no flush draw though? With a short stack I would be happy to check and hope that someone with a raggedy ace, a king or 5 takes a stab at the pot. Wouldn't you agree?
Old 11-16-2004, 02:43 PM

With that many players in the hand, yeah, I guess that'd be a decent plan, though I still think it's close. It'd still be potentially disasterous to to have it checked though and let all those limpers see a free turn card. I definitely want all my money in on the flop even with a rainbow board.
Old 11-16-2004, 02:57 PM

First, I want to ask do you think you are behind here? What hands could we possibly be behind? AK would have surely raised, as I would think AQ would have. A6 MAYBE for the first limper, but the second? And 66 is a possibility, but a long shot I would think. I would think we are ahead here, and want to make the cost to chase too high for someone holding second pair, or top pair weaker kicker, so given that:
Question 1) I think I bet about the pot size after the SB checks.
Question 2) Once I check and get a bet and a call, I think I push and try to take it down here.