Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2004, 03:29 PM

Default recommended size of harddrive w/ PT?

I am shopping for a new computer. With regards to pokertracker databases, is a 40G hard drive sufficient for a hard drive or should I only look at 80G?

I don't plan to have any other huge files or databases on there.

If it's even a consideration, I'd rather just get the 80G.
Old 11-12-2004, 04:41 PM

Default Re: recommended size of harddrive w/ PT?

40 GB is more than enough if PT is the only factor.
Old 11-12-2004, 05:35 PM

40G is plenty for PT, but I beleive it is more cost effective to go larger if its not much of a cost difference. I have never found a computer HD that I haven't been able to fill eventually.
Old 11-12-2004, 06:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
40G is plenty for PT, but I beleive it is more cost effective to go larger if its not much of a cost difference. I have never found a computer HD that I haven't been able to fill eventually.

[/ QUOTE ]

Data, like clutter, constantly expands to fill the space available.
Old 11-12-2004, 06:21 PM

Thanks, illunious. I have no idea how much storage space things take so that helps.

And tom, you're probably right. It is about $50 more to go w/ the 80G. I guess I should bite the bullet and get the bigger drive.
Old 11-12-2004, 06:39 PM

That's a pretty big rip off price for the difference between 40 and 80 gigs, unless it's on a laptop.

Hard drives are almost always on sale somewhere, and often for around half price. For $50 you should have little trouble, if you look around for a bit, getting not a 40 gig difference between a 40 and 80 gig drive, but a 80 or 100 gig drive all by itself, leveraging your investment into roughly 2 gigs per dollar.

Lots of system vendors try to screw you hard for any upgrades, and underbuild their initial offerings so that you have to upgrade, and have to get screwed.

You might want to consider making better use of your money by just buying either an internal or external hard disk later on. Hard disks just get cheaper over time, and most people take a while to fill up 40 gigs unless they download a lot of movies and music. You're not stuck forever with whatever purchase you make today.

Even though I just last week got a new computer, I also got an external hard drive, so I can move pokertracker and all its files from computer to computer easily, and also load hands from as many tables as I like without freezing up or slowing down gameplay at the tables, which used to happen when I had both pokertracker and my poker site programs on the same disk. Now when I import, the hhf files are read from the disk on my computer, and imported into the disk on the other computer, so the same disk isn't doing double the work and slowing me down. Very nice solution, and I don't slow down on eight tables now, whereas I used to get frozen always and timed out quite frequently doing only four tables before, doing everything on the same hard disk at once.
Old 11-13-2004, 06:46 AM

Get a SATA drive if you can(will need a motherboard that supports it). I think the speed of the drive is more important than the size.

80gig drives are the norm now so they wont be hugely more expensive than the 40's.
Old 11-15-2004, 03:26 PM

sheez. so many choices. what are people's thoughts on this system? I am considering the 80G.

I just dont know enough about hardware to make an informed decision w/out borrowing others' knowledge.
Old 11-15-2004, 04:53 PM

That link takes me to 4 different systems. They all seem like a good deal for around $500, they will run the hell out of poker clients and PT.

Are you buying a monitor with it? Don't get the 15" that is included with those, get one capable of 1600x1200 resolution, even if it means getting a CRT instead of LCD to save money.
Old 11-15-2004, 05:00 PM

There are two systems and then they pair each one w/ a monitor. The one I'm considering is the 80G system (no moniotr)- $449 price tag.

I have a small monitor that I want to soon replace so I can multi-table.