Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2004, 09:40 PM

Default Stud 8 3rd street question

Been playing .5/1 on party with the big ante just to get a feel for this game after reading Zee's book.

A 3 calls the bring in, i call with 236r, a 4 calls, an A completes, the bring in calls, and now the 3 limp reraises.

Am I right calling the bring in the first time? When the 3 limp reraised I folded. Was that right? I figured he must have a very good low hand that was likely to beat mine and also probably had some of the cards I needed.
Old 11-10-2004, 10:22 PM

Default Re: Stud 8 3rd street question

I would take a card off to see what everyone catches...this is also player dependent...are these people waahoos or do they know how to play this game...

I am still new to this game but when I first started playing I played a lot of different hands in places where I maybe should have folded...you gotta try stuff out in different places to see what usually works and what doesnt usually work...
Old 11-11-2004, 02:05 AM

You were certainly correct to call the bring-in. I might raise with a hand like this, but with an Ace and a Four out, limping is more prudent. I would probably call the additional bet-and-a-half. The guy with the Trey may have a strong low, which can't be that much stronger than yours. He could be on a high hand, or he may just be a monkey. With your dead cards, though, folding probably isn't terrible.
Old 11-11-2004, 11:26 AM

I would put this guy on a high pocket pair, probably aces. Call the bets since you are probably not much behind for the low if at all and if you catch good and he bricks or was high then you are in good shape....if vice versa though you should be prepared to bail. I play that game and 1/2 a lot and believe me, that guy could have anything. He could be on a high straight draw and raise it!
Old 11-11-2004, 12:14 PM

Thanks for the answers so far. One more question. Assuming basic party low limit conditions(any 3 on 3rd, very passive) how many hands should I be seeing 4th with. After a few thousand hands I've been seeing 4th about 28% of the time. I think with the overante this is too tight. Am I right about that? Would 28% be about right for a game with a more normal ante structure? I am pretty sure I am undervaluing high only hands. I know it's hard to answer a question like that but what is an approximate range of % I should see 4th given these game conditions?
Old 11-11-2004, 03:38 PM

just a quick question, if you dont mind me asking..
how do you know you see 4th str 28% of the time? as far as i know party software has no stats. Have you just kept track of your play? Or is there a pokertracker kind of program for stud?

(stud8 beginner here, and I was wondering if such program exists)
Old 11-11-2004, 03:41 PM

I'm no expert, but I would say you have to play a little looser than this in that game at least. you can often pay just the .25 to see if you can get that 3rd K or 4 flush and when you do it will usually pay off in a big way. I often play this game too tight also and when you look at your stack after not playing a hand for a half hour it is not a pretty sight because of that big ante.
Old 11-11-2004, 04:46 PM

No program, just right click on your name in Party and click 'show statistics'.
Old 11-12-2004, 07:44 AM

Since I really only play live, I don't track such things, but 28% seems too loose. Remember that you're going to have to show down the best hand in order to win.