Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2004, 03:41 PM

Default To tight?

In stud8 most of my starting hands are good low hands with plenty of live cards. The only high hands I play are 3 suited cards or AA and KK. I raise with 3 suited low cards or AA with no A up. I will take a card or two on a smaller pair like JJ if no J is up and no one is representing a larger pair. I never play 3 to a straight (9, 10, J off suit). I will play small paired low hands with an ace like A22 if no 2 is up and my low cards are still live.

This has worked pretty good for me in SNG's but in multi table tourneys the ante and bring in hurt me in the later rounds. Then I always seem to fall victim to a flush or low draw from 4th steet that doesnt come and get knocked out just short of the money.

Any advice ?
Old 11-12-2004, 03:47 PM

Default Re: To tight?

What is the ante/bringin/bet??

Consider raising the A22.

If this is the PP .50/1.00 game be more willing to play 2 low suited cards if you can do so for the bring-in. Because you can get that cards cheap..and 4th might get checked around.
Old 11-12-2004, 03:55 PM

If you're suggesting playing something like A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], I think that's way too loose.
Old 11-12-2004, 04:11 PM

I play on Pokerstars. Mostly SNG's....$5-$20 and multi table tourneys from $1-$20.

I started 14 months ago with $20 a friend transfered to get me started. I've been up to a high of $500 but seem to stay around $200. I've cashed out a couple of hundred (to the friend who got me started...I transfer him the money and he pays me in cash later).
Old 11-12-2004, 04:12 PM

I was finding that this adjustment wasn't too bad in the PP .5/1.00 game. That was because my tables were have 4th checked around way too much. so frequently it would cost 1 ante to see 2 cards.

Do you still think that is too loose?? I quit playing this game because I wasn't confident in what I was doing. I wasn't sure if what I "knew about stud 8" was true...and I also wasn't sure if I was adjusting that "knowledge" to the over ante structure. So I switched to straight stud after not that much time on the stud8 tables.

If you say its still too loose then I'll believe you. I don't have that much experience...and I haven't read the RZ split pot book. Althought I have read the 7stud book several times over.
Old 11-12-2004, 04:15 PM

sorry about my worthless babble then....I can't say a thing at all about this game/limit
Old 11-12-2004, 04:19 PM

Read Ray Zee's book, and don't play for low when you start with a bad card. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]