Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2004, 04:35 AM

Default pokerstars sunday 215 nl hand

blinds are 50-100. I have ~2100.

UTG limps in. I'm next with to act with 9s-10s. I call and several players behind me call. total of 7 people see the flop.

Flop is J-9-4 with two spades.

BB bets 100; UTG raises to 550. All the relevant players had me covered, but not by much. I moved all in.

After the hand several players commented that I was 100% idiot. I was surprised because I thought the play was fairly straight forward for the following reasons.

1. It was early in the tournament and I needed to accumulate chips.

2. There was a small chance that I could make everyone fold.

3. Even if I get called I've got a ton of outs (up to 14).

4. There is 1350 in the pot already. If I'm against a pair I'm even money for the remainder of my chips. If I'm against a set I have outs. Given all the money in the pot I might as well go for it.

I would welcome your thoughts on the situation. Is this actually an easy fold?
Old 11-08-2004, 05:17 AM

Default Re: pokerstars sunday 215 nl hand

[ QUOTE ]
I would welcome your thoughts on the situation. Is this actually an easy fold?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, this is an easy push. You played it correctly.
Old 11-08-2004, 05:21 AM

I think this play is fine, you are probably a slight favorite to win the hand, and you have a decent chance of taking it down on the flop. I would have played it the same way.
Old 11-08-2004, 05:31 AM

Boris,

This question you pose is silly in my view. If you are going to limp in with T9s, then you sure as heck better be willing to commit when you hit the crap out of the flop. If you don't like these drawing type situations, then you should fold preflop. I personally would've folded preflop, that limp is fairly suspect with such shallow stacks.

But if I had seen the flop, I would've played it just like you did.

-Jason
Old 11-08-2004, 07:30 AM

you should always be willing to put in your stack with a pair+flush draw in tourney situation

that said i think it was a horrible call preflop. 9Ts is NOT the type of hand you want to be playing out of position, especially when you only have 21 BB. next time toss it preflop.
Old 11-08-2004, 09:24 AM

I virtually never play this cheese in this position. You cannot take any heat from behind you preflop, and it's purely a drawing hand even if you get to see the flop.

You can find a better spot.

That said, if you simply MUST play the hand, you simply MUST play the hand, so obviously your postflop play is dictated.
Old 11-08-2004, 09:45 AM

I have to agree with Jason. To limp with this in EP is asking for trouble if you are not willing to play a bit loosy goosy on the flop. I think the key to surviving MTT's is to put yourself in situations where you are not playing mediocre hands out of position, forcing mistakes.

Now, once you got yourself into your situation, I think this is a very easy push. So many outs to the probable nuts, plus lots of folding equity except for the guy who bet 550 who will not fold.

Nick
Old 11-08-2004, 10:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have to agree with Jason. To limp with this in EP is asking for trouble if you are not willing to play a bit loosy goosy on the flop. I think the key to surviving MTT's is to put yourself in situations where you are not playing mediocre hands out of position, forcing mistakes.

Now, once you got yourself into your situation, I think this is a very easy push. So many outs to the probable nuts, plus lots of folding equity except for the guy who bet 550 who will not fold. Nick

[/ QUOTE ]

While it's great that you agree with me, I must insist you not call me Jason. My name is Dave.

Otherwise, you and I are in perfect agreement. At NL, your entire stack is in constant jeopardy. Why put yourself into a spot where you're playing 9/Ts out of position, unless it's Total Desperation Time (which it was not)?

But if you mistakenly put your chips in preflop, you must be sure not to mistakenly forget to put them in when this flop comes.
Old 11-08-2004, 10:16 AM

Great Pooh Bah Rushmore. Look up 2 posts above yours where great Strassa advised that he would usually fold in this type of situation. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Nick
Old 11-08-2004, 10:54 AM

Getting 7-way action with T9s is a great result. I would definately be the second limper with this hand. Of course you have to throw it away to a decent raise. It sounds like the game is somewhat loose passive at this point so this is a great hand to play.

Of course the push is correct.