Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2004, 06:40 PM

Default Omaha 8 PL Raise Question

I am new to this game an trying to improve and learn as much as I can so here is my question. I play mostly low limt games such as 25pl on party or UB. Lets say that I am on the button holding AA24s. There are six limpers in the pot. Should I raise the pot before the flop to add value to what is sure the best hand or not. I know that most of the time even if I raise the full amount I will only lose about one player pre-flop. Does the fact that thier will be so many players in the pot even after a raise cut my odds so far down that my hand will not hold up enough times to make this profitable. Or is that just part of the Br swings in Omaha.
Old 11-05-2004, 12:49 AM

Default Re: Omaha 8 PL Raise Question

You want to raise this hand preflop and you don't want to lose any limpers. This should be obvious. If you could get the entire table all in preflop everytime with this hand you would grow rich very quickly.

Postflop you still have to play poker and you are not committed to bet any more money if you don't want to.
Old 11-08-2004, 01:26 PM

You want as much money in the middle with that hand pre flop as you can get. Don't forget in Omaha, you don't want to get rid of players that have weaker hands than you, since unlike holdem they can't easily school against you. Because most of the time 2 hands have by far the best of it and everyone else is drawing nearly dead.
Old 11-08-2004, 02:09 PM

It's somewhat of a delicate balance between raising a small amount to build the pot so when you pot on the next round it will still be a significant amount versus raising the full pot amount to where if all the limpers call a pot size bet on the next round it will force you and many others all in at the risk of losing limpers pre-flop who will essentially be drawing dead.

Personally if the table is right (I've seen them call $3-5 preflop after limping for $.50) I'll go ahead and pot it and hope I only lose 0-1 players. If they're a bunch of folders then I'll go for a smaller raise like $1.50-$2 so the pot will still be $10-$15 on the next round and you can get all in by the turn on a favorable flop.

So it really depends on the table. This is a hand where you don't want to drive players out because you have such a huge hand but you also want to extract as much money as possible from them before they realize they've made a mistake by playing their hand.