Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2004, 05:16 AM

Default Brother, can you spare a dime ?

Could you make that ...seven and a half billion dimes ??

Thanks, brother.

Administration asks for another $75 billion to fund wars
Old 10-27-2004, 09:38 AM

Default Re: Brother, can you spare a dime ?

...thatd be 750 billion dimes. if you're going to try to be cute or clever then learn how to multiply. and having a working link helps too.
Old 10-27-2004, 11:26 AM

Default Re: Brother, can you spare a dime ?

seven and a half billion dimes

I don't know where you're from, but where I'm from, a dime is 10 cents, not ten dollars.

Must not be alot of light in that closet. But then, turn-of-the-century German cinema wasn't particularly uplifting.
Old 10-27-2004, 11:36 AM

Default Sorry, that\'ll be 750 billion dimes

I'm sorry if I confused you. It's still $75 billion any way you count it.

[img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

But the CNN link is no longer there! (Perhaps those 75 billions smackers are being deferred?...)
Old 10-27-2004, 12:01 PM

Default Und varum nicht, bitte?

"I don't know where you're from, but where I'm from, a dime is 10 cents, not ten dollars."

Where I come "from", a dime is also ten thousand dollars. But don't let that get in your way.

"Must not be a lot of light in that closet."

A cabinet is not necessarily a closet. It can also be a desk drawer. Or a laboratory. (Or what gives Tony Blair headaches.)

"But then, turn-of-the-century German cinema wasn't particularly uplifting."

You got anything against German Neo-Expressionist Cinema? (Which was not "turn-of-the-century", btw.)

Those German Jews that were behind it gave a particularly uplifting kick in the toosh to Hollywood when they fled there! (And you just scored an own goal.)

[img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 10-27-2004, 12:12 PM

Default Re: Und varum nicht, bitte?

"Where I come "from", a dime is also ten thousand dollars. But don't let that get in your way. "

Cyrus I believe you are wrong yet again. And so early in this thread!

Gambling parlance, especially sports betting, considers a 'nickel' to be $500, a 'dime' to be $1,000, and a 'big dime' to be $10,000. You appear to have confused 'dime' with 'big dime'.

Of course, since there is no telling just where in the heck you come from, your statement just might be right.
Old 10-27-2004, 12:43 PM

Default Re: Und varum nicht, bitte?

Varum is "Why" correct?

Or a laboratory

Obviously. But I couldn't give you credit for that.

You got anything against German Neo-Expressionist Cinema?

I generally try to avoid horror. Probably why I missed Operation Thunderbolt and all of the Israel Channel 2 broadcasts of terrorist videos.

Those German Jews that were behind it gave a particularly uplifting kick in the toosh to Hollywood when they fled there! (And you just scored an own goal.)

Look how assimilated and accepted German Jews were in the 1920s, around the time of Dr. Caligari. Even more so than in America today! But Germany certainly had it's share of Golems (that rabbi was very Miss Cleo).

GOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAL!
Old 10-28-2004, 04:00 AM

Default And why not, please?

"Look how assimilated and accepted German Jews were in the 1920s, around the time of Dr. Caligari."

Yes, 1920s (and not "turn of the century" as you wrote.) Germany could have turned out completely different. It did not have to turn Nazi. But it did, because of the anti-Bolshevist sentiment that swept across western Europe's centres of power after 1917.

If you insinuate that German Jews were destined to be persecute (and, therefore, an Israel was the only Solution), then you're caught in yet another logical and historical non-sequitur. Only the most crass determinist (or a a Jewish supremacist scare-mongerer) would claim that, no matter what, Jews would be killed in Germany, whether under Hitler or Heinrich Bruening.

"GOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAL!"

I've seen my share of own goals. I scored some, as well, oh yes. But this is the first time I see the scorer celebrating.

--Cyrus

PS : Aside to MMMMMM. "Gambling parlance", huh? I knew you only had one bullet.
Old 10-28-2004, 10:34 AM

Default Re: And why not, please?

Of course there is the belief that some Wall Street banking houses financed the bolsheviks and the nazis for at least two reasons. One, to profit from sales of munitions and supplies to both sides (just like Britain did in 1861-5). Two, to create the need for a Jewish state (which turned out to be a Rothschild (real family name Bauer) fiefdom.

There is so much disingenuousness in world history. The causes of situations in the past have been clouded with lies and misdirection. For example, the Rothschilds and other Jews helping finance someone who would make a scapegoat of their own people to facilitate the creation of a homeland) and trying to keep that a secret. BTW, I am Jewish...

Unfortunately for people like the Bush family, modern technology is helping clear away the clouds of deceit.
Old 10-28-2004, 11:00 AM

Default Re: And why not, please?

If you insinuate that German Jews were destined to be persecute (and, therefore, an Israel was the only Solution), then you're caught in yet another logical and historical non-sequitur. Only the most crass determinist (or a a Jewish supremacist scare-mongerer) would claim that, no matter what, Jews would be killed in Germany, whether under Hitler or Heinrich Bruening.

There is no such thing as destiny. It's an excuse, a way for people to lay blame elsewhere and avoid taking responsibility for a possible outcome.

What does exist, however, is attitudes. They are passed down through generations from parent to child, and they don't change. Nobody holds on to traditions like Europeans, and there is no tradition quite as European as Jew-hating. In 1920s Germany, there may have been a temporary suppression of Jew-hatred, but all it took was a mustachioed megalomaniac to bring all those old feelings back for thousands of SS soldiers and others.

Today is no different. All it took was a hawkish President and questionable Israeli foreign policy, and suddenly the conspiracy theories about Jews and Israelis controlling governments are fashionable again.

Now don't get me wrong. This guy can write about whatever he wants. But don't get angry when Israel takes further measures to solidify its role as a haven from persection for Jews.