Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2004, 03:27 PM

Default AK my biggest leak...Any previous threads

When AK misses totally on flop (esp if I've raised from EP), I seem to get caught betting/calling to river for 6 outers and getting crushed...assuming 1 or 2 oppts, and no flush draw for you, any advice on general approach (or previous threads) on playing AK when flop misses
Old 10-28-2004, 03:29 PM

Default Re: AK my biggest leak...Any previous threads

Untold number of times this has been brought up...try searching. Once Ed Miller had an interesting point. He said that NO ONE plays AK so badly that it's unprofitable. It's that good.

Re-read the overcard section in SSHE, it's probably the best in print on the topic.
Old 10-28-2004, 03:32 PM

Thx Malcom.

My opinion is probably tainted by recent poor run of AK and AKs. Seems I never hit [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I did try searching, but will also re-look at SSH overcard section...

K
Old 10-28-2004, 04:37 PM

I can't recall what limits you play, Jayrutz. But at Party 2/4, for example, I would say that overcards without any extra draws are perhaps worth a bet on the flop (especially if few opponents, ragged board, you have position, etc.), but that once that bet's been called, you don't want to put any more money in unless you improve. We make money at these limits because people call, not because they fold. All of a sudden with your unimproved AK you're hoping they'll fold their marginal piece of the flop, but this doesn't make sense as it's the times they call with their lousy pair of 2s and you have hit your AK that make you money. Remember who you're up against.
Old 10-28-2004, 04:44 PM

Party 2/4, and yes, I agree. I say std play is raise preflop, unimproved bet flop, unimproved check call for 1 bet, unimproved fold river...agree?
Old 10-28-2004, 05:12 PM

If I am unimproved with position on the flop...I raise and/or 3-bet.....haha, I then take a free card on the turn.....

Unless they bet again.....then I fold
Old 10-28-2004, 06:18 PM

Overcards are very situationally dependant. How many people in the hand. How passive/loose are they. What is the board, how coordinated is it, how clean/dirty are your over card outs, do you have a backdoor flush draw, do you have a gutshot.

People keep trying to put a formula on how to play overcards but it just isn't that simple. All of check, call, raise or fold is possible on the flop with overcards depending on the situation.