Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2004, 11:35 AM

Default Bad or Good Call??

I was playing a 20+2 multi at Pokerstars, i usually make good desisive calls or lay downs, such as folding AQ preflop when most players ive played with wouldve pushed with it. ANYWAYS, i was second place in ships with 15 players left and high stack had round 70K i am second to last to act and he is next to act after me. I had AK suited with blinds at 500-1000 i believe. I raised it 5000 and he went over the top of me all-in. He wasnt a tight player...as he played most hands and whenever he bet it was all-in. Never a Call or Just a raise. So i figured he was using his stack to push people around as i was the only player that could humble him at the table. So i called , he had QQ and i didnt hit anything.

Would any of you had called based on his way of play or throw away AK suited and wait.. I think i might shouldve waited on a nut hand preflop but i figured he was just the type of player who goes all-in with any marginal hand and hopes to get lucky, i just chose to call when he actually had a hand.

What do you all think?
Old 10-27-2004, 01:19 PM

Default Re: Bad or Good Call??

i understand the frustration of watching a stack push people around, but you basically want to avoid big gambles with stacks that can cripple you

being second in chips, and this being the only guy that could bust you- don't go out of your way to "humble" someone and win nothing.

you should probably pass here and just stick to picking on smaller stacks and building for an in the money confrontation
Old 10-27-2004, 03:33 PM

Yea I toss AKs preflop all the time.
Old 10-27-2004, 03:37 PM

If he is pushing a lot you have to call here. If he has been selectively aggresive you can lay it down. Your biggest mistake though is that you raised too much initially. Raising to like 3k will make it much easier to lay down if you have to.
Old 10-27-2004, 05:30 PM

I would lay AK down as someone said bet like 3400 or so instead of 5k but u still have 65k left if u lay thisone down. I would only call with Aces or kings in this spot. Its up to the smallstacks to take gambles with chipo and not ure job.
Also he is probably not going to move in vs you with anything less than QQ or up since you are the only one who can cripple him. If he is pushing ppl around its probably the smallstacks who cant cripple him.
Old 10-27-2004, 05:35 PM

You should ahve waited for T8.
Old 10-27-2004, 06:01 PM

This is the exact lesson I've been working on the past few weeks - laying down AK when someone comes over the top and I'm not in a desperate situation. I feel like I play well enough that I can get those chips back and more. I'd prefer to be the one going over the top and not having to call such a bet. I'd call with AA or KK and muck everything else.

And as a couple others have states, I would only raise 3-4X BB. That's a large enough raise that it will drive out those without a good hand, but not so large that it 1) costs you a lot to fold; and 2) begs for people to try and steal it away from you because they are desperate.

Last point is your position relative to this person. He's on your left so you will always have to be concerned about him doing this. You probably need to tighten up a bit since he may go all-in on any hand. At the same time, if you get a premium hand (AA or KK) you can potentially limp in with the hopes that he'll make a huge raise.
Old 10-27-2004, 06:23 PM

I can't see ever laying down AKs to a maniac.