Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2004, 12:09 AM

Default Golf is like Poker: Feel and Intuition versus Logic and Thinking

Golf is an interesting comparison to Poker. On the range, you practice mechanics and work on aspects of your long swing, short game and putting. However, while playing a round or tournament of golf, teaching pros will tell you to disregard too many swing thoughts, mechanics and instead visualize and feel the natural swing and rythym of the game. As one who has taken a driving lesson and then tried to play 18, I agree it is better to develop a feel in order to put your practice into play. I've played poker reasonably well for 6 years, but have begun examing how I play at the table and I believe I haven't made the shift from taking my consious thoughts and logical analysis and put into into play in a more "natural" manner. It appears the great players do many things naturally and instinctively, built on practice and studying away from the table. It would seem the key to becoming better is to translate study into a more natural feel for the game and the table. I'm interested on opinions and what others may have done to get better at this aspect of Poker.

If you disagree, I'm interested as well.
Old 10-29-2004, 12:48 AM

Default Re: Golf is like Poker: Feel and Intuition versus Logic and Thinking

I disagree totally.

In golf your conscious thoughts usually conflict with your feel. That causes tension an results in bad shots.

In poker you can use conscious thoughts and feel in parralel. Your game doesn't suffer if you think consciously. When you first start out your natural feel is often wrong.
Old 10-29-2004, 02:47 AM

Default Re: Golf is like Poker: Feel and Intuition versus Logic and Thinking

While you are correct that you use both your conscious thoughts and your natural feel when you're playing your best poker, it is also true that the more studying and analyzing you do away from the table, the better your intuition becomes. It is the same way in golf. The more you practice, the better you understand your body and the minute changes necessary to improve.