Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2004, 12:04 AM

Default Odd NL hand

Playing 1-2 nolimit, no max buy in.
stacks at table range from 100-2000
Hero is a young kid with about 500 on table.
villian is an unknown just sat down.

hero is BB with KJ offsuit.

utg +1 calls, folds to villian in
CO who calls, button calls, sb calls, hero taps table.

flop comes jh-jd-8s .

hero checks, check villian bets 20, folded to hero who raises to 40, utg +1 folds. villian calls.

turn brings a 4h

hero bets 50, villian rasies to 100, hero calls.

river brings a 2h.
hero checks, villian bets 100.

Kid turns his cards face up, thinks for about 2 minutes then mucks.
Old 10-26-2004, 07:47 AM

Default Re: Odd NL hand

The only odd part of this hand is why you called 50 on the turn and folded for 100 on the river. The pot has got to be laying you close to 4-1. Isn't at least 25% of the time he is bluffing or has a worse jack?

The flop check sucks. I have no clue what you are doing. I prefer betting out. Anything else is obvious what your hand is. Why he minraises on the turn is quite strange. I think its pretty clear he has a jack. But he could easily have QJ or TJ or even J9 from this line.
Old 10-26-2004, 09:06 AM

Uhhhh, ya I dont see how you fold here for 100 with 400 in the pot? You didnt tell us anything about villain (i.e. if he's real tight and would only limp w/AJ or 88) but there's nothing from the action that indicates to me you're beat here over 80% of the time.
Old 10-26-2004, 09:16 AM

I don't understand hero's play at all here. Hero is only beat by a flush, AJ, J8, J4, 88 or 44. A flush is only really conceivable with A8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Any other two hearts would have folded on the flop. J8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] is maybe conceivable but any other J8 is not. J4 is not likely. 44 is also unlikely. Given this, I think a push on the turn was warranted. Since Hero didn't push, I think he should have called or even pushed on the river.

The only thing that might make a difference is if the Villian really had "just sat down" and posted. The other J8's and J4 become at least possible.
Old 10-26-2004, 10:34 AM

Where does it say you folded? I don't really understand the river action.
Old 10-26-2004, 06:54 PM

Ok as far as the villian goes, he just sat down 2 hands ago and folded those 2.
Im not the hero in this story so i cant really comment on why he played the hand the way he did.
I know on the turn he is getting slightly under 5-1 and he has 10 outs to make the boat or better so pot is laying him right at even to call for the boat, not counting implied odds on the river. How many of the outs are clean? All are clean to at least chop except perhaps an 8 or 4 that could make villian quads if he has a boat.

Game is 1-2 with extremely deep stacks, so alot of people are limping with anything for 2 bucks. Alot of limping folding on the flop to any action and alot of trapping.

anyway the villian showed jack-8 for the boat after the kid mucked.
I diddn't like the way he played it, but he lost alot less than I probly would have.
Old 10-26-2004, 07:35 PM

'I diddn't like the way he played it, but he lost alot less than I probly would have.'

results don't make the action correct

while its possible the guy has a boat with his small bets, you still have to call the river...if its true that people are basically playing any two cards, you'll definitely see a worse J hand here enough times to make it +EV to call.....

as one reply stated, it would be better to lead out on the flop and see how the villain plays it from there
Old 10-28-2004, 03:32 AM

So then whats the point of the post? To critique an opponent's play who you agreed played it badly? He still really needs to call your river bet, and afterward thank god you didnt charge him more.