Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2004, 07:06 PM

Default Bet size and implied odds...Flop nut straight on button in multiway.

1/2 NL live game, 8 handed, stacks range from 100-250, table is very passive and I have solid reads on a majority of the players, most of which have very little handle on fundamentals of poker. They are mostly calling stations with the exception of one extremely weak tight and one aggresive tricky player playing loose(a friend and the only player I consider a better player than me).

im on button with 220ish$ Villain is my friend 2 off the button who barely has me covered.

2 limpers to me and i turn up 56o, I limp and SB completes, BB checks.

5 way to the flop,
478 2 diamonds, 1 club-jackpot.
Everyone checks around to me and I bet the pot, ten dollars.
Two callers, BB and villain.
Turn is a J clubs, BB checks, Villain bets 40, I reraise to 110, and he puts me all in 100 more.

What I am looking for is a critique of my flop bet. Obviously I do not check here and am aware that anyone with the flush draw will call (such is the table) and accordingly they have 0 implied odds on me if a diamond comes and things get sticky.

In that size field in that loose/passive game a ten dollar bet off the button from me (a player seen as younger with a tendency to bluff) into a ten dollar pot will get all kinds of callers, overcards, any pair, which I wanted. However, should I have bet more (20?) knowing that the stacks were fairly deep and anyone with 2pr or the over straight draw (which I was up against) had great implied odds. For the most part I had not been doubting my play except for this sentence in TOP I just read: PG 72 "In NL and PL games, you must be careful...to bet a sufficiently large amount so that your opponent is not getting sufficiently good implied odds to make a call correct." An additional benifit of overbetting would be a decrease in the odds of multiple callers schooling on to the first (meaning over card gut shut draws and the like). Lastly, I am NOT trying to win the pot right there and avoid getting beat. Any overbet would garner at LEAST 1 caller a good percentage of the time due to the nature of the game and my position/image.

At the time, I was aware of the high straight, but I also thought there was enough possibility that my friend was carrying through with maybe a pair + flush draw, straight flush draw, or top set as he will limp low pp or even jacks and check the flop. Hes the kind of player that with monster draw hands will try to push you off a hand and he knows I can lay down big hands (meaning he might think he can get me off a set with the straight possibilities out there). Because of this I knew I couldnt lay down for 100 more dollars.

Anyways...all input appreciated.

JMP300z