Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2004, 02:54 PM

Default QQ, single overcard

Comments on all streets appreciated.

Paradise Poker 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. MP3 posts a blind of $0.25.
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 (poster) calls, CO calls, Button calls, SB calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (15 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(7 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls, Button folds, SB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls.

With the big field it's not unlikely that someone has an A, but with the big pot folding seems too weak, so I raise.

Turn: (13.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls, SB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 folds.

I bet because (1) I may still be best and (2) to buy a free showdown.

River: (18.50 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG checks, Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, CO calls, <font color="CC3333">SB raises</font>, UTG folds, Hero folds, <font color="CC3333">MP3 3-bets</font>, CO folds, SB calls.

That free showdown thingy didn't work out so well. After it's two back to me, it seems like someone's got at least top pair here.

Final Pot: 25.50 BB
Old 10-24-2004, 02:58 PM

Default Re: QQ, single overcard

You shouldn't have put any more money in past the flop. The raise was ok, since the odds you were getting demanded you staying in, but you should have check/folded the turn. The jack was a bad card since someone could check raise with two pair or semi-bluff raise a flush draw. Hope that you can try to find the non-diamond queen on the river for free.
Old 10-24-2004, 04:07 PM

On the turn, I was trying to apply the "cheap showdown" tactic from SSH -- the main difference between the SSH example and this one seems to be the multi-way pot, which may make a free showdown less likely when I check the river (which was exactly what happened here).

On the other hand, checking the turn is just as likely to trigger a bet for the same reasons (multi-way, my position), so if you're raising the flop hoping for a free turn card it suffers from the same problem. So raising the flop and checking the turn doesn't strike me as being necessarily better than betting the turn and hoping for a free showdown.

Any other thoughts?
Old 10-25-2004, 12:50 AM

With 4 players coming along, betting this river is a disaster. The fold when it comes back 2 to you is easy as well. On the turn, I play it the same way. I'm not sure if that still makes it the right play, but I don't see the J as a scare card, so I'm betting out and making sure the other players react to me.