Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2004, 07:38 AM

Default 2004 WSOP main event Sam Farha

We're just getting this over in old blighty at the moment, the hand I was most interested in was the one where Farha had 66 against the K8d guy. Farha raised and was called, the flop came 344 rainbow I believe, now Farha bet out which seems normal to me, and the K8d raised on the bluff, now Farha just calls and a T comes on the river, the K8d guy bets and is called, finally the river is an 8, the guy bets out again and is called. First I think I would either push in or fold on the turn, I don't think I would play like this in a 10 dollar SNG, maybe he knew something I never about this guy but I can't see him bluffing the river after being called all the way.

Whats the story and what hand do people think Farha put the guy on?

Regards Mack
Old 10-07-2004, 11:40 AM

Default Re: 2004 WSOP main event Sam Farha

must have put him on big cards... because the board double paired, he was way ahead or way behind --- so he called it down... not sure why he didn't make a play for the pot on the flop.. small pocket pair and that flop, I push...
Old 10-07-2004, 11:44 AM

doesn't the footage pretty clearly show Farha saying he knows the guy has overcards and is bluffing? I'm assuming that he doesn't push all-in because if he does, the bluffer can fold and reduce the # of chips Farha gets. Of course, it also comes with the risk that he hits a bigger pair.

Sam made a point of saying that he knew he was bluffing because his hands were shaking so badly.
Old 10-07-2004, 11:54 AM

If that same hand had happened to Phil Hellmuth, there would be a big rant about amateurs making bets and then hitting 6-outers on the next card...
Also, I think Sammy got as far as he did in 2003 by calling guys down -- I remember him doing that many times -- making tough calls... It's interesting because all you hear is how aggression is the key to NL and Calling Stations are terrible players etc... but Sammy clearly made a lot of good reads...

by the way, interesting that when somebody is shaking, it is usually a sign of strength -- not weakness... in this case, Sammy's read was correct though...
Old 10-07-2004, 12:30 PM

I know Farha said he had the guy read, but you can't be thrilled with 66 when someone keeps raising and betting at you. It is a standard poker principle that if you think you may have the best hand but you are not sure, check call. Bet big hands and bluffs with nothing or semibluffs with potential.

Yes, the guy could hit his high cards. It's less likely but Farha could hit his set. If the guy really did have something, Farha could then win a big pot.
Old 10-07-2004, 03:35 PM

Someone who plays K8s could also play A4s, K4s, 54s, 64s, or 34s. What if Farha reraises on the flop and his opponent pushes?
Old 10-07-2004, 03:41 PM

Wasn't a 2+2er at the table when it happened? The guy who paid off tinsley when he hit his set.

He said something like afterward farha went on and on about how horrible of a play the guy made. Maybe he could add something to this discussion.
Old 10-07-2004, 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It is a standard poker principle that if you think you may have the best hand but you are not sure, check call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this true for No-Limit?
Old 10-07-2004, 04:12 PM

Even more true, because the consequences of reopening the gate with a raise can be dire.

-Michael
Old 10-07-2004, 04:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know Farha said he had the guy read, but you can't be thrilled with 66 when someone keeps raising and betting at you. It is a standard poker principle that if you think you may have the best hand but you are not sure, check call. Bet big hands and bluffs with nothing or semibluffs with potential.

Yes, the guy could hit his high cards. It's less likely but Farha could hit his set. If the guy really did have something, Farha could then win a big pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah i hear what you are saying all i was thinking was, he gave away most of his chips in the hand, surely its better to push on the turn if you intend to call it all the way down. I agree only a better hand is likely to call but I don't think i would be happy accepting the 15% chance of that guy hitting (assuming he read him as 2 overs).

Regards Mack