Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2004, 11:26 PM

Default New guy looking for some help

Hey all, I LOVE this site! I started playing poker over spring break and have since learned everything I can about the technical aspect game. I've found that I have a pretty good knack at putting people on hands and have won a significant amount of money in only 7 months, enough that I know there's this is definitely more than a luck game.
In any case, I want to learn more about pot odds, +/- EV, pre-flop percentages of hands, etc...I've seen the name Sklansky's a TON on these postings, but I have no idea what are good books, etc, on the topics. At this point, i want to dive in and learn as much as possible so ANY advice would be great.
Any advice?
Thanks a ton! [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 10-18-2004, 11:50 PM

Default Re: New guy looking for some help

Sklansky's "Theory of Poker" is a must read to understand a number of concepts. If you are playing limit Hold 'em, Ed Miller's "Small Stakes Hold Em" is incredible. It gives you the math for most any situation. If you are a No-Limit or tournament player, I like T.J. Cloutier's book as a start. Many people say it is too tight a style but IMO, that is the way to go when you are starting out. Hope this helps.

Matt F.
Old 10-20-2004, 09:49 AM

Excellent! I've ready TJ's book and I've met Ed Miller in Vegas (he's the one who hooked me up with twoplustwo) but I who was writing his book at the time. I'll definitely hit up "Theory of Poker" as well.
I appreciate it!
Old 10-20-2004, 04:39 PM

Ed's book, Small Stakes Hold'em, is an absolute must read.
Old 10-21-2004, 06:20 AM

The very first book you should read if you want to learn how to play Hold'em is Lee Jones book. It's not the best book, but for beginners I would always recommend this book.

Play more, get more experience, learn to count pot odds quickly and know your what your implied odds may be.

Theory of Poker is a must have. That's the book I would read next.

Then I would read SSH. And read it over again, and again.

I've gone through it like 4 times myself and I apply it to not just low limit games, but every limit I play at.

Then after you've played more, and have the technical aspects nailed down pretty well, get John Feeney's book on Inside the poker mind. This book has helped me a lot with deducing plays and recognizing patterns of players and how to adjust to those particular players.

If you already have a talent for reading hands, you are already have one of the hardest things in poker nailed down.