Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2004, 10:47 AM

Default Interesting tournament hand

This is a hand that came up in a tournament that I thought was interesting. Critique the play of each player in the pot. I was involved in this hand, but I will keep my identity concealed:

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (8 handed)

MP2 (t2125)
CO (t1458)
Button (t1710)
SB(t2950)
BB (t1490)
UTG (t2535)
UTG+1 (t1600)
MP1 (t4140)

Preflop:
UTG calls t100, UTG+1 folds, <font color="CC3333">MP1 raises to t200</font>, MP2 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB calls t150, BB folds, UTG calls t100.

Flop: (t700) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets t500</font>, UTG calls t500, <font color="CC3333">MP1 raises to t3940</font>, SB calls t2250 (All-In), UTG calls t1835 (All-In).

Turn: (t9725) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players, 2 all-in)</font>

River: (t9725) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t9725

Results in white below: <font color="white">
UTG has Js Ac (two pair, Jacks and Fives).
MP1 has 3h 3c ( full house, Threes full of Fives ).
SB has Kd Qd (flush, king high).
Outcome: SB wins side pot t830. MP1 wins main pot t7605. </font>
Old 10-20-2004, 11:15 AM

Default Re: Interesting tournament hand

Don't like MP1's preflop raise with 3,3. Why is he trying to drive people out of the pot. The whole value in his hand comes from a lot of people involved in the hand and him hitting the flop.
Old 10-20-2004, 11:18 AM

How can SB think his AJ is best after he was called and then reraised. He has to lay it down there.
Old 10-20-2004, 11:22 AM

I think you got the hand a little wrong, on the flop, the KdQd with the open-ended flush/straight draw and overcards opened the betting, was called by the set of 3s and then the AJ guy re-raised all-in and both players called.
Old 10-20-2004, 11:26 AM

Maybe, I was just going by what you posted.

[ QUOTE ]

Preflop:
UTG calls t100, UTG+1 folds, <font color="CC3333">MP1 raises to t200</font>, MP2 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB calls t150, BB folds, UTG calls t100.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

UTG has Js Ac (two pair, Jacks and Fives).
MP1 has 3h 3c ( full house, Threes full of Fives ).
SB has Kd Qd (flush, king high).
Outcome: SB wins side pot t830. MP1 wins main pot t7605.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-20-2004, 11:29 AM

Yeah, I went back and edited it. I misread it the first time, I thought the AJ had raised it, but he had limped, so you did have the pre-flop action correct, but after the flop the KQ lead off betting and the set of 3s called and then the AJ re-raised all-in and both called.
Old 10-20-2004, 11:31 AM

Ah, on the flop. Yes I did get it wrong but I think you did too. Your original post said that the AJ called the original bet and then the set of 3's reraised it. After which the AJ called of the rest of his stack. Still a bad play.
Old 10-20-2004, 11:32 AM

I agree that MP1s min raise in MP with 3s is a little odd. Not much point in building the pot until he hits his set.

With that flop, the chips are going in, I think. If the guy with JAo was a good player, he should be able to lay it down after the all-in reraise, but if I'm holding the KQd, I'd call every time -- anywhere from 14 to 18 outs, twice.

And pushing bottom set to protect it is fine as well.
Old 10-20-2004, 11:38 AM

UTG gets my vote for a "What are you thinking?" slap to the back of the head.

UTG (Butcher #1):
-Needs to fold PF.
-Cannot flat call with TPTK and draws on the board.
-Cannot call the all-in with a drawlicious board like this.

MP1 (not so bad):
-Don't min-raise with your threes. I understand trying to juice the pot in case you hit your flop, but most of the time you're just leaking chips.
-Good all-in here. Draws abound, and your set is behind all of them.

Small Blind:
-I'm on the fence about calling this pre-flop (who I think is you). The odds are that if the flop hits you at all, it will be so you can draw to a str8 or non-nut flush (or both as it turns out).
-Why bet t500 if your intention is to go all-in if you are reraised? (Honest question here. What are you trying to do with this bet? Would you be better off pushing with your draw?)

Sorry for the outcome. Cards happen.
Old 10-20-2004, 11:40 AM

I agree the play by the AJ was bad all around, especially on that flop. I guess he thought that both of the other players were drawing, but the fact that someone had lead out with a pot sized bet and then the other player had called, he should have known that at least one of them had either 2 pair or a set. I hate the mini-raise from the 33 pre-flop for reasons you stated, but I think playing 33 UTG is pretty weak to begin with. On the flop, I'm not sure what he was trying to do. Maybe he was going to call in hopes that the other player would come along, but it seems to me that he should have gone all-in after the first player had bet out. I suppose through process of elimination that it is clear that I was the unfortunate soul with the second best hand at the end. I still think my play on the flop was correct because with my overcards and draws I was a favorite against almost any hand. The guy with the AJ told me I was an idiot for calling all-in on a draw, but I calculated that I had the outs and odds to do it.