Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2004, 03:30 PM

Default A-low suited on the button, SB and BB.

If I recall, in Hold'em Poker for Advanced players, there are some example hands given where the hero has A5 (suited) or the like, in the blinds, or on the button. In the examples, the hero has raised these hands. I also played on a 2+2 table a while back, and won a hand with A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. I was advised by the other players that I should have raised pre-flop. I also notice that Ed's book does not state that this hand should be raised. My question is, in a loose game (my live game usually has 6-7 seeing the flop) is this a good idea? If I like the flop, in my opinion, if I raise, I am likely to get action from people, due to the size of the pot. People will stay in with hands that they should not, and pay me off if I hit my flush. Is this the way I should be thinking? How many of you raise A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] out of the SB with 6 limpers?

Thanks!
Old 10-18-2004, 03:41 PM

Default Re: A-low suited on the button, SB and BB.

I don't ever consider low suited aces to be a strong hand worthy of a pre-flop raise, unless its a heads-up situation. The only way its valuable is if you flop a flush draw, which you won't complete often enough to cover all those times you don't flop/complete the flush draw or get beat by a better ace. If you make a top pair with A5s, you're likely behind with 6 or 7 people in the hand. I don't see how this hand is profitable to raise before the flop.
Old 10-18-2004, 05:42 PM

This post is getting no replies, so I have to flesh it out a bit:

Page 88...."suppose you have

A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and raise from late position".

page 92...."...even raise with small pairs, suited connectors, and hands like A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]".

page 96...."raised before the flop with A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]".

Obviously, if HEPFAP uses these as examples, it must have some merit, though it is not discussed in Ed's book. Does anyone here raise these hands, and in what circumstances?
Old 10-18-2004, 05:51 PM

I wrote about this recently in this forum, asking about raising "speculative" hands preflop. The thread was short, but had some good info. Search for speculative and I think you'll find it.

What it comes down to, I think, is knowing that you hand has more equity than the hands that have been limped to you. If I've got 4 limpers to me, I'm raising with JTs, even though Jack-high isn't on its own the best hand right here. I think the same goes for decent suited aces, good suited connectors, all suited broadways, and probably even suited connectors down to 89s or so.

Rob
Old 10-19-2004, 12:15 AM

Thanks for your reply Entity, I tried to find your post, but no luck. However, your answer made things clearer for me. Basically, if I am against people who play bad hands, it might be worth a shot at raising. I tried it in a B&M game last week, and turned a straight. It was very satisfying to hear a super-loose aggressive player at the end of the table say "I thought he played better cards than that".....

Thanks!