Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2004, 04:22 PM

Default Frequent listener, first-time caller

If this post is misplaced, I apologize in advance.

I've been working at learning to play. I've read the Krieger book and started Jones. While without having much to compare it to, the Krieger read seems just ok, not great. It's been useful for starting hands however.

I've played 50,000 hands of 2/4 Poker Stars at 6 max tables only. I've never played more than one table at a time. I've only played 6 max because I wanted to learn to follow and recall hand play and I figured it would be easier learned 6-handed rather than 10-handed. Also, 2/4 made sense to me to learn on because while it is not ton of money, the $1500 I put up is, after all, $1500. I also plan to play another 50,000 hands at 2/4 before considering anything different.

I spend at least as much time watching 2/4 PStars games as I do playing, compiling notes on players and mind-playing hands. I also spend a lot of time reading this forum. It's invaluable.

Over the 50,000 hands i'm at +1.3 BB/100 with the last 25,000 at +2.5 BB/100. Improvement has come with experience and slightly more aggressive play on fewer hands played.

There are several areas I could use some insight or suggestions on:
- Is it silly to play 6-handed? I know the rake is hurting me here, but my comfort level with my ability to read hands and recall hand play is going to suffer moving from 6-handed to 10-handed. Thoughts?
- I know I'm poorly playing small pairs (88 and below). From every position. Getting better, but I'm still too stubborn and I can't help but think that this weakness will be more of a liability 10-handed vs 6-handed. Any suggestions or recommeded specific reading on this topic?
- Finally, for someone at my very modest level, what are the better strategy books?

Thank you very much in advance. I'll report back in another 50,000 hands.

- Bruce
Old 10-18-2004, 04:36 PM

Default Re: Frequent listener, first-time caller

Awesome work, don't know many people that take it this seriously when they begin. Good rate for a pure beginner as well. Jones book is the book I recommend to anyone as the first read. After that, I would read Small Stakes Hold Em from 2+2 publishing. It delves into more advanced small stakes concepts and will definitely add a BB or two to your rate. It's not silly to be playing short handed if you are winning, which you are. Eventually you need to play 10 handed to become comfortable at both limits. Also, the small stakes hold em concepts will apply more to a fuller game, because it has a lot to do with outs and draws, and calculating them based on big pots because of the loose play and many players that see the flop in 10 handed 2-4 games. Middle to low pocket pairs aren't worth much 10 handed unless you flop a set. However, you are 7.5-1 to flop a set, and the loose nature of these games will almost always lay you odds preflop to call to flop a set, and when you do, you often take down big pots. Fold them when overcards hit however, and remember that even if the flop is 6 high for your 88, people call to the river with overcards and other things and you are dodging a lot of cards to hold up. This site, the literature, and experience will increase your rate, I am up from barely winning when I started to over 5 BB per hour, moving up in limits soon. I don't believe in luck so I won't say good luck, just keep working hard and it'll pay off
Old 10-18-2004, 04:37 PM

1) It's not silly to play 6-handed.. it's just a pretty different game. It can be very profitable, but it usually has more variance than 10-handed.

2) I think it's easier to play small pairs 10-handed. Pretty much play 'em from any position (with exceptions, of course) on a decently loose table, and fold if you don't flop a set. Obviously it's more complicated than that, but about 66 down to 22 aren't that hard to play.

3)Small Stakes Hold 'Em by Ed Miller. I'm surprised you wouldn't have picked this up already if you've been reading the forums for a while.

In addition, you've written one of the best "first posts" I've read on this site. You already have played more hands than a lot of experienced posters, yet your post has a humble, rather than brash, tone. And you're asking the right questions, not some ridiculous winrate question after 3K hands or something.

Sounds like you're pretty solid already; now pick up SSH and start murdering fools.

Welcome to the forums.
Old 10-18-2004, 04:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

- Finally, for someone at my very modest level, what are the better strategy books?

[/ QUOTE ]

As most people here will tell you, the best strategy book is Small Stakes Holdem by Miller, Sklansky, & Malmuth. (And I'm not saying that because the authors post here). [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]