Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2004, 11:37 AM

Default Ak in BB vs. lag in 15/30

online game sorry it was pacific so i dont' have the history.
3 handed 15/30
hero is BB with AKo.
Button folds, SB raises, hero reraises, SB caps.
flop; k68 SB bets hero calls.
Turn; 7 for k687 SB bets hero raises sb 3 bets hero caps.
river; 7 for k6877 sb bets hero raises sb three bets hero calls.

results:
hero shows AK for two pair kings and sevens
SB shows 75d for trip sevens and wins pot.

Question is should i hae justt called on the river or is my raise justifed figuring he has qk or jk? <font color="white"> </font> <font color="white"> </font>
Old 10-12-2004, 12:01 PM

Default Re: Ak in BB vs. lag in 15/30

hey josh - you know me as weak-tight, so to keep up the reputation, here's some "weak-tight" advice. Definetly just call this river, it was capped on the turn, and now he's betting into you on the river. Often he will have a straight or trips here knowing you have a king, and he can safely 3bet his trips against you, which you will have to pay off. So, just call this river. You might kick yourself the couple times he has a weaker king, but the extra value bets you'd get those times don't make up for the times you have to pay 2 bets he has a hand.
-DrG
Old 10-12-2004, 12:37 PM

If you are beat you are going to get 3 bet and have to pay off. Given the prior action (especially the turn cap) I don't think he will bet a weaker king or some random weird hand often enough to justify a raise.

-Ezcheeze
Old 10-12-2004, 12:48 PM

this looks like one of those results oriented posts. you have the best hand until the river and feel pained by the result. i think calling the turn 3bet isn't that bad. he's representing a bigger hand than top pair now, you should slow down.
Old 10-12-2004, 02:13 PM

I would not even have capped the turn.
Old 10-12-2004, 04:23 PM

1) The cap on the turn is a must. You've played your hand somewhat deceptively here(*) and he might well be placing you on some kind of semibluff, particularly if turn card put a two-flush on the board. This sort of opponent will be happy to 3-bet with a K and a weaker kicker, as well as some worse hands. When you cap and he bets into you again on the river, slowing down then is probably correct.

(*) I don't necessarily mean to condone the flop slowplay. A mix of fastplaying and slowplaying is what it takes to beat these guys. So just calling the flop is fine, but you should SOMETIMES be raising here, especially if you're also raising a lot on semibluffs or with hands like middle pair.