Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2004, 01:38 PM

Default follow-up for \'NL HE (New Player\'s Guide)\' by McEvoy??

I'm a LLHE student, but got wrangled into a NLHE home tournement for this weekend. In preparation, I crammed "No-Limit Texas Hold'em : The New Player's Guide to Winning Poker's Biggest Game (The New Players Series)" by McEvoy & Daugherty, since it seemed to be the most favored for beginners. Very quick and easy read. So, to get some practice, I played a couple of 5/1 SNGs last night. I managed to get 5th place in the first game, and 3rd in the second, so I should be pretty pleased, right? Or are these 5/1 SNGs just really fishy (saw some extremely loose playing in the early rounds).

Anyhow, I discovered I was ill-prepared to play the later short-handed rounds, when the huge blinds come whipping around fast, and it's bluff city. The McEvoy & Daugherty book doesn't discuss this at all (although, in fairness, they do discuss bluffing - I should re-read those sections).

Which of the often-recommended NL books will give me some quick survival tips for the later phases of the game? TPFAP? PL & NL by Reuben & Ciaffone? Supersystem? Championship Satellite Strategy by McEvoy & Daugherty?

Thanks,
Pasta
Old 09-30-2004, 01:53 PM

Default Re: follow-up for \'NL HE (New Player\'s Guide)\' by McEvoy??

I don't feel that Ciaffone's book would add anything - the satelite book has some good chip stack management techniques.