Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2004, 09:17 AM

Default AKo vs limp-raise

Hero has AKo in the BB, no reads on MP1

All fold to MP1 who calls the blind, folded to hero in the BB with AKo who raises-MP1 pulls a heads up limp re-raise, hero calls.

Flop is Q-10-5 rainbow. Check, bet, call. Not a great flop for me because even if MP1's limp raise was just a position raise there is a good chance he hit. I thought about folding here for a second, but felt because there was a small chance I was ahead and had a draw to the nuts I would make a play on the turn.

Turn is a Q. Check, bet, raise, call. Made my play; didn't work. Anybody like this raise here?

River is a 7. Bet, call.

Comments?
Old 09-22-2004, 09:59 AM

Default Re: AKo vs limp-raise

Somebody who limp-reraises from MP either has a very strong hand or is in the mood to represent one. They are not the sort of opponents against whom you should try and make plays.
Old 09-22-2004, 10:48 AM

Kings or Aces. Just possible KQ.

I dunno, worth a try if he's an occasional bluffer HU. Wouldn't try it without a read.

You lose?
Old 09-22-2004, 10:56 AM

hi roy

no good. it's more like check-call; check-call; check-fold. or you could check-call; check-fold.

whatever this opponent has, you will need a straight to beat him, and you will need to improve before putting any more chips into the pot on the river. the best way of handling this one, is to check-call the flop, and check-fold the turn.
Old 09-22-2004, 11:01 AM

I don't know what limit you were at, but in most games I've been in a limp reraise from MP screams aces or kings. It's one of the only situations I can think of where a fold preflop to the reraise would have been very reasonable.
Old 09-22-2004, 11:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know what limit you were at, but in most games I've been in a limp reraise from MP screams aces or kings. It's one of the only situations I can think of where a fold preflop to the reraise would have been very reasonable.

[/ QUOTE ]

15/30

Folding pre-flop never really crossed my mind, although I didn't really put much stock into counting any aces or kings as outs.

He had AA.

As a silver lining to this poor play I believe it did result in me making a few extra bets later in the session as I was called down every time I put in for a bet or a raise.
Old 09-22-2004, 12:14 PM

I don't have any experience at PP $15-30, but they've got enough loonies from what I hear that I wouldn't if I had notes suggesting the player was a little unhinged. Otherwise, you're so likely to be dominated that it's pointless.

OTOH, if I had a note on a player that showed he'd fold to a limp reraise preflop, I might try to get clever with him once in a while if the circumstances after I limped with a marginal hand showed good possibilities.
Old 09-22-2004, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Somebody who limp-reraises from MP either has a very strong hand or is in the mood to represent one. They are not the sort of opponents against whom you should try and make plays.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an excellent point.

I would've folded the turn here for 1 bet.
Old 09-22-2004, 05:19 PM

Hi Choppy. I also would have folded the turn for 1 bet with no reads. Why make a move in a small pot? People limp rr giant hands or Q6o. Far more often it's a giant.
Peace,
James
Old 09-22-2004, 07:18 PM

"People limp rr giant hands or Q6o. Far more often it's a giant."

However, this time it less likely to be a giant hand given the villian's position, and the presence of one Ace and one King on hero's hand and two queens on the board.

Also, in my opinion, a limp-reraise is usually done with a giant hand or a decent hand with some "exciting" potential particularly if commited to seeing the turn on almost any flop, such as JT/T9s.

It could also be a small pocket pair who limped in hoping for multiway action, but once it's headsup with position it fancies it chances and threebets.

Could be all kinds of stuff, but far less likely to be AA/KK/QQ due to the things mentioned.

Having said that, the queen on the turn is so relatively ugly that I think I would checkfold. Actually, if you really want to play this for a showdown, I think checkraising the flop and leading the turn is the right play. If raised there, I think you can let the hand go.

lars