Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2004, 11:52 AM

Default AA monster in CO-2

Last night in a somewhat loose, live 9/18 game (I've seen about 6 hands, but this is the 2nd I've been dealt in).

EP2 calls, MP calls, I raise w/A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], button calls.

I don't know EP2 and he hasn't played a hand that I've seen, MP is very loose passive and kind of in a daze. Button is a little loose and unimaginative, but otherwise a solid player.

Flop: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

EP2 check, EP3 check, I bet, Button calls, EP2 folds, MP calls. Turn 3 handed.

I was paying most of my attention to the Button who I thought may have hit an A. Not sure. MP could have had anything from a set to a draw.

Turn T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

MP bets. I call, sensing a chance to build a pot and the Button calls. Also, I did a little acting here. When the bet came out, I was a little surprised, paused about 1 second and tossed the call in.

I'm wondering if the call is correct here. This game does get wild from time to time and a raise would not have been totally out of character - besides, I wanted to know what the Button would do. If I raise, the chances of the button folding seemed strong. If I call and the button raises, I re-raise.

River: 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

MP checks, I bet, Button raise, MP folds, I re-raise, Button calls and shows JTc.

Given the call on the turn and my read of an A for the button (and the fact that many hands get checked on the river in this game) I wonder if I should have gone for the check raise.

Thoughts? Problems in how I played it?

File under: Big pot won, could I have won more?
Old 09-20-2004, 12:52 PM

Default Re: AA monster in CO-2

I wouldn't have put button on an ace. He cold-called your pre-flop raise and yet, when an ace came on the flop, he didn't raise.

Given the two flush draws and the paired tens, I would have raised the turn.
Old 09-20-2004, 01:21 PM

As I said, I wasn't sure. Also, it would be consistent for this player to wait for the turn to raise.
Old 09-20-2004, 08:16 PM

I think you played it fine. Going for a river check-raise is too dangerous here since the button hasn't done anything but call throughout the hand.
Old 09-21-2004, 02:22 AM

I wouldn't put anyone on an ace, they are pretty much accounted for, besides you probably would have known about it on the flop. The turn bet by MP likely indicates a ten or one of two flush draws. Either way, a turn raise by you, will not run them off. (may even get re-raised). Collect some more bets.
Old 09-21-2004, 06:09 PM

hi jay

you played it fine. the button should have raised you on the turn. incidently, the fact that he didn't raise on the turn indicates that you were correct to assume raising would have spooked everyone out. true, in this case, the button would have been with you to the showdown. we're not talking about that; the type game is what is important, and this is exactly the type game you describe, and you played it perfectly. had the button raised on the turn, you still would have played it perfectly, but we wouldn't have been so sure about it. his failure to raise means he would have folded many hands that others would have called your turn raise with.
Old 09-22-2004, 10:12 PM

Remember how I described the game. At least 3 of the players should have been in a 3/6 - a condition that seems to be more and more common.

Also, I described the button as somewhat loose and unimaginative. This type seems to often wait for the double bet rounds to put in action - without consideration of what the pot odds are.

Given this, an A was still consistent, until the river raise, at which point AT, TT and Tx shot to the top of the hands possible. If the button had TT, then I'm thankful the hand was misplayed. The T/R could have easily cost me 6 big bets, or more.
Old 09-23-2004, 12:07 AM

hi andy

(lol) that's right. my first response to this post....i am asking myself, 'what was i thinking?'. of course he should have raised the turn, and it's not even close.

i've been out of action for a while now, and it's starting to show. he's got to raise the turn...what was i thinking?
Old 09-23-2004, 12:17 AM

Why raise the turn?

Why is it not close?
Old 09-23-2004, 02:40 AM

You raise the turn to charge draws and get someone to overplay trip tens. What happens when the flush card hits on the river and neither of them had a flush draw? You think you are going to get much action from JcTc then? I am also in the camp that the turn raise is mandatory - you WILL get more action from trips and the draws will still call. These things I know are true.
-James