Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2004, 12:14 PM

Default Brutal 80/160 hand, Borgata.......

This is one of those fun hands that I thought might interest everybody. Maybe it won't, we'll see. It's not really a bad beat, but it's definitely one of those hands that sticks in your mind. For my background, see my previous post.

80/160 HE at the Borgata, 7 players at the table. I raise preflop in an unentered pot with 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] . One of those fun plays I like to make to keep the game interesting and my table image loose. Usually if I don't hit, I'll bet the flop, and give up on the turn and river, but show the hand anyway. Sometimes I'll bet all the way down if it's heads up and there's a busted flush draw on the board or something like that. Either way, I will make sure the table sees the hand. Anywho, two LPs cold call and we see the flop. K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] . Wow. I bet and get 2 callers. Turn is a pretty lil 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] giving me the stone cold nuts. I bet, 1st LP calls, 2nd LP raises, I 3-bet, other guy folds, he 4-bets, I 5-bet, he calls, I'm giddy because now I know he doesn't have the same hand, and even if he did, I have a redraw. 66 and 77 are the most likely holdings. River is the nasty 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] . I throw up in my mouth, check and call to see the expected 77, and said "You hit a monster on me. Nice pot," as he takes down something like $2400. I can't complain as I've hit just about every draw at that table for 2 hours and was still up over $3000 in that time, but that one definitely got the adrenaline going. Please don't mistake this for a badbeat story, I just thought it was a fun hand. Any comments?
Old 09-19-2004, 12:18 PM

Default Re: Brutal 80/160 hand, Borgata.......

Lovely. 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] is very pretty.
Old 09-19-2004, 12:26 PM

Default Re: Brutal 80/160 hand, Borgata.......

not much to say. openraising with 54s is not all that bad a play if you have a good chance of stealing the blinds or controlling the hand after the flop. in the 80 game i play in though the blinds rarely give up and other players take a possible steal openraise as an excuse to try and isolate so the play goes way down in value. nevertheless it is fun as you said to play little suiteds and they certainly have some value just usually not heads up unless youre against something like AK and ram it up their wazoo when you flop a gutshot and turn a pair and make them pay the max the whole way. just dont expect to find players on here who will agree with that.

post some hands where you played bad or were really put to the test and then we'll have something to talk about. but save the results until later.

nice to meet you.