Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2004, 12:55 AM

Default All-in with TPTK and board pair on flop... advice please...

I'm not sure going all-in on teh flop was the best play. Here's what I was thinking:

A big pot (37 big blinds) with 4 other people. I have TPTK but there is at least a flush draw and if another Q or 5 falls then I may have to split the pot with somone (another Q with weaker kicker).

The pot is large enough that a pot sized bet (3.7) would not quite leave me with enough for another pot sized bet on the turn. So I figure chances are I'd go all-in on the turn unless a scary card came (of course then the pot may be lost).

So rather then go all-in on the turn against maybe 2 opponents, I figured I'd go all in right now and take my chances that no one liked their hand and maybe getting a worse hand (Q with weaker kicker) to call me.

Any advice on a better way to play this?

Thanks,
Justin

Paradise Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (7 handed)

SB ($7.00)
BB ($10.00)
UTG ($14.40)
MP1 ($16.95)
MP2 ($38.14)
GlemZurg ($10.40)
Button ($17.75)

Preflop: GlemZurg is CO with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.05.
UTG calls $0.10, MP1 calls $0.10, <font color="CC3333">MP2 raises to $0.25</font>, <font color="CC3333">GlemZurg raises to $0.5</font>, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls $0.40, UTG calls $0.40, MP1 calls $0.40, MP2 calls $0.25.

Flop: ($2.55) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG bets $0.6</font>, MP1 calls $0.60...

<font color="blue">Right here the pot is $3.70 and my stack is $10.00</font>

...<font color="red">GlemZurg raises to $9.9</font>, BB folds, UTG folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds.

Final Pot: $13.15
Old 09-18-2004, 01:03 AM

Default Re: All-in with TPTK and board pair on flop... advice please...

[ QUOTE ]
The pot is large enough that a pot sized bet (3.7) would not quite leave me with enough for another pot sized bet on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually with 1 caller the pot would be $11 and I would only be able to make a 1/2 pot-sized bet. With 2 callers, the pot would be $15 and I'd be approaching a 1/3 sized bet. Definitely not enough to shake people chasing a draw. (really a pot-sized bet doesn't do that in the games I play anyway. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img])

Justin
Old 09-18-2004, 04:25 AM

Default Re: All-in with TPTK and board pair on flop... advice please...

[ QUOTE ]
Preflop: GlemZurg is CO with Q, A. SB posts a blind of $0.05.
UTG calls $0.10, MP1 calls $0.10, MP2 raises to $0.25, GlemZurg raises to $0.5, 2 folds, BB calls $0.40, UTG calls $0.40, MP1 calls $0.40, MP2 calls $0.25.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ugh, that line is pretty ugly. Min raising the raiser back with AQo isn't a moneymaker.
I'd be more inclined to call...

On the flop, I understand your analysis, and it's not bad - the only conceivable hand that will call you (maybe) that you can beat is KQ. So this is essentially a bluff, as if they have trips they beat you (and call.) AA and KK we can (should!) eliminate by no preflop action. Truth is I dont mind just putting in a bet of say 2.00 to 2.50, and then putting the rest in on the turn unless a [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] or K hits. Obviously, if you fill, you can then check allowing a diamond to fill ;x