Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2004, 05:31 PM

Default 88 hand

15-30 Party. This is another turn decision hand. The only read I have is that the BB is a bit of a calling station. I have 88 in EP and limp behind one limper. SB folds, 3 to the flop.

Flop: 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

BB check, limper bets, I raise, BB calls, limper calls.

Turn:3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

BB checks, limper bets. Whats your play? Agree with the flop raise?
Old 09-08-2004, 05:35 PM

Default Re: 88 hand

he could certainly be on a draw or overcards, I would call down. I do agree with the flop raise also.
Old 09-08-2004, 05:44 PM

agree w/your play, though I'm always suspicious when someone comes out betting following my raises. calling down sounds good.
Old 09-08-2004, 05:51 PM

Raising is better than calling.
Old 09-08-2004, 05:58 PM

I think you should raise for a free showdown. I don't think that you get a nine to fold, but you may be able to fold a flush draw from up front who may also have overcard outs. If you get three bet, I think you can safely fold.

RH
Old 09-08-2004, 05:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Raising is better than calling.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats basically why I posted the hand, it's close between the two IMO.
Old 09-08-2004, 06:00 PM

Raise again. Typical Party players love to represent whatever paired card comes on the turn. He hit his 3 and decided to bet out rather than check raise? I doubt it. If he had the 9 you would have probably seen more flop action. You are likely ahead of the limper guy and the BB probably is trying to hit his overcard or whatever weak draw he has.
Old 09-08-2004, 06:03 PM

I don't know that I agree that a nine will automatically three-bet the flop here, with a raise and a cold-caller behind him. I think that a nine bets again on the turn when the flush does not get there. But, I think that if you are going to call, you should raise for a free showdown.

RH
Old 09-08-2004, 06:06 PM

I think this is a textbook raise situation. The board is extremely draw heavy, and you can confront someone that is likely to be drawing with 2 big bets. You can be reasonably confident that you're losing when you're 3 bet. And finally, you have 2 outs if behind, so not seeing the river isn't as big of a deal as if you had a 5 out type of hand.

Also, in my experience, this type of stop-n-go is usually someone with a weak middle pair type hand or a guy with a big hand afraid you'll check the turn. In either case, a raise is ideal.
Old 09-08-2004, 06:10 PM

I agree the limper could very well have a 9. But he could have a 4 or 55 or 66 or overcards or a flush draw enough of the time that folding is not an option so this has to be a raise because the BB is still in. Heads up I'd just call down. If I had a note on the limper that said "2+2er" I would be much more likely to fold but against a PP unknown I auto-raise here. It is far more likely he is trying to represent a 3 than has the 9.