Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2004, 02:58 PM

Default Hitting your set...

(Sorry -- didn't get the hand history here).

Full table of 0.25/0.50 NLHE on Pokerstars.

Relevant stacks:
MP - $25
CO - $80
BB (Hero) - $85

Table is fairly loose pre-flop (a lot of raising), but now that at a maniac has recently busted out, the post-flop game is more sane.

Hero gets 77. Three limpers, CO raises to $2.50. Hero calls and two others call. Pot is approximately $8

Flop T72 (Ten and Seven are spades)

Hero checks. MP bets $3. Limper calls. CO makes it $8. Hero raises to $20. MP calls. Limper folds. CO raises all-in.

What to do? What do you put your opponents on?
Old 09-20-2004, 03:12 PM

Default Re: Hitting your set...

Call.

CO could easily have AA,KK,QQ,JJ. Might have TT (oh well). Or he could be getting cute with the nut flush draw (not likely but possible).

6 ways each of AA,KK,QQ,JJ...3 ways for TT....So I'd take your chances that he doesn't have TT

Call and crack those Kings
Old 09-20-2004, 03:16 PM

Call. I'm puting him on a big pair, if he's got TT, oh well.
Old 09-20-2004, 03:17 PM

A couple of minor corrections --

[ QUOTE ]

Relevant stacks:
MP - $25
CO - $80
BB (Hero) - $85

[/ QUOTE ]

As I look at the hand, MP must have been a little bigger -- but less than $40.

[ QUOTE ]

Hero gets 77. Three limpers, CO raises to $2.50. Hero calls and two others call. Pot is approximately $8

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess the pot was actually around $10. Not sure that makes a difference, but I know that both MP and CO underbet the pot on the flop.
Old 09-20-2004, 03:20 PM

Call.
Old 09-20-2004, 03:23 PM

First off, this is a higher game than what I currently play so my advice may not be completely appropriate. I don't imagine this game to be that much superior in skill of opponents, but having no experience myself, someone else may provide sounder advice.

Now for how I would play it...
I'd call instantly. There's only one possible hand that has you beat, 10-10. With a board as low as 10 high, there's plenty of pocket pairs, J-J, Q-Q, K-K, A-A that the villain could have raised with pre-flop that he could be over playing on the flop. I'm gonna assume since you posted this that you called and lost to 10-10. I think though, most of the time you'll be shown and over-played overpair and take down a nice pot. Set over set happens but not enough to fear it in my opinion.
Old 09-20-2004, 03:26 PM

Definitely call. Raiser has either an overpair or 2 big spades, either of which you're a favorite to. He MIGHT have TT and you'll have to pay it off but there are just too many ways you're way ahead here to fold.
Old 09-20-2004, 03:51 PM

Default The bad news.

Thanks to all who responded. I thought it was an easy call but I have lost some confidence in my game after a couple of weeks of losing. Anyway...

Hero calls and MP calls

Turn 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [damn]

River 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [YES!]

MP had the nut flush, but CO had the TT and I lost my entire stack (or just about). After I posted this, I noticed that there was another recent thread discussing set-over-set and, even though that was KK versus a perceived AA, the problem was the same. When I read that thread I felt that it was a definite call -- so I guess mine was as well.

Only for the briefest moment did I put CO on TT -- the player was tight, but he had also lost a big pot with AK to a set on an A high flop. I believe this is one of those situations where Doyle Bronson says that your opponent is going to take your money because there really is no other way to play it.
Old 09-20-2004, 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm gonna assume since you posted this that you called and lost to 10-10.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I gave that away... good read.

Regarding the game level, I don't see a whole lot of difference between the NL games on Pokerstars -- at least among the .10/.25, .25/.50 and the .50/1 games (the .01/.02 game doesn't really count -- although I was once flamed there for several minutes there after taking someone's stack ($1.65, I believe) when I hit my runner-runner flush.) When your bankroll allows it, moving up to a higher level could be profitable. After losing badly, I had just moved down from the 0.50/1 to the .25/.50 -- mostly because I didn't want to put more money in my account.
Old 09-20-2004, 07:14 PM

Default Re: The bad news.

[ QUOTE ]
I believe this is one of those situations where Doyle Bronson says that your opponent is going to take your money because there really is no other way to play it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yep, he'll have the TT here sometimes but lots of other times he'll show you AA/KK/QQ and you'll take a nice pot.