Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2004, 10:49 PM

Default misplayed or just bad luck?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, <font color="CC3333">CO raises</font>, Button folds, Hero calls, BB folds.

Flop: (5 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls.

Turn: (3.50 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls.

River: (7.50 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">CO raises</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 11.50 BB

Results in white below: <font color="white">
CO shows Ac Jc (flush, ace high).
Hero shows Qh Ad (three of a kind, queens).
Outcome: CO wins 11.50 BB. </font>
Old 08-30-2004, 10:56 PM

Default Re: misplayed or just bad luck?

Your play is fine. Maybe 3-bet pre-flop. Nothing you can do about the backdoor flush.
Old 08-30-2004, 10:57 PM

I think this is mostly bad luck. In a heads-up pot, you can't really worry too much about bad-door flush draws. I think a turn check-raise is okay here, though it would be unfortunate if it were checked through. This does seem like a reasonably good situation for the bet-the-flop, check-raise the turn, which Sklansky says should be done regularly in HPFAP. (Do others agree????)

My major thought here is that you should raise pre-flop. With a hand folded all the way to the CO, he is likely to be attempting a steal, or is perhaps simply auto-raising first in in late position with any kind of hand (and he would be correct to do so). Thus, the range of hands that he could be raising with is quite large, and a majority of those you are beating (and many you dominate, like the AJ he showed down). So, out of the small blind I think it is correct to raise here to make sure the big blind doesn't tag along unnecessarily, and to punish the CO for a possible steal. (I'm assuming you don't read the CO to be some kind of super-tight rock).
Old 08-30-2004, 11:02 PM

3-bet pre-flop for sure. Your hand is better than CO's the vast majority of the time and you want the BB to fold. Other than that, well played.
Old 08-30-2004, 11:56 PM

I re raise pre flop. I bet the flop, I bet the turn, I bet the river, and I pay of the raise. Nothing you can do.

Derek