Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2004, 07:43 PM

Default 1st Visit to Hollywood Park ($3/6)

Only my 3rd time playing live and 1st time playing in my backyard (L.A.). Went after work on Friday, arrived about 3:40, waited for a table until 4:00 and then played until 7:00.

After reading various posts about live small-stakes games, I have to say I was shocked by the passivity (real-word?? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]) of this particular table. I think in the 3 hours I was there, I probably raised/re-raised (VERY rare, as there was no raising) at least as much, if not more, than the rest of the table put together. I'd see people turn over Qs, Ks, As at showdown never having raised ONCE!! One guy flopped a full-house and just checked all the way through ("I just kept hoping somebody would bet!"). Un-freaking-believable!! Any hint of aggression and the table immediately backed down. One such hand - I'm dealt K-10o on the Button and limp in. Flop comes 3-K-3 rainbow. UTG bets out, 2 or 3 folds, and then I raise (correct, right?), called by UTG. Turn comes blank - UTG checks, I bet, UTG calls. River brings another blank - UTG checks again, I bet, UTG calls. I show my Ks, UTG shows trip 3s. Am I just crazy or is UTG ultra-passive??

Anyway, table was fairly loose, usually at least two people calling all the way to the River, so it was a good time; ended up +22BB for my session. Par for the course for HP or just one of those things??
Old 08-30-2004, 12:32 AM

Default Re: 1st Visit to Hollywood Park ($3/6)

My first time live, I too was shocked at how passive the games were (3/6 at the Trump in Gary, IN). It's simply ridiculous.
Old 08-30-2004, 06:07 PM

Default Re: 1st Visit to Hollywood Park ($3/6)

Lucky you...

This will be rare here in LA. LA tables, at whatever limit, are known for being highly volatile. You hit a weak-passive table on your first outing---don't fool yourself into thinking this is the norm...you'll run across more crazy, Loose-Aggressive tables than anything, so remember to evaluate each table carefully and adjust your play accordingly...You sound like a very aggressive player, so just keep in mind that unless you keep your eyes open, the passive players will take you to the cleaners, because they just don't raise good hands, and you're going to be ramming and jamming with top pair, OK kicker (like with your K-Tos hand) and someone slipped in with a trey and clubbed you like a a baby seal.

Welcome to the game and to Hollywood Park...you should check out the Hustler and the Bike - my two preferred venues in LA.

Sticky [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]